Windows 7 windows explorer question

ruggb

Extraordinary Member
Not paying much attention - I just noticed the top line in the right pane as "UNSPECIFIED (xx)" in MOST but not ALL folders.

What is this referring to?????????????

ALSO, when I rt clk on a folder and do properties I get the "Read Only" box filled.
I believe that means that some files/sub-folders are read only and some are not.
If I change that to blank and apply, when I go back to the properties it again shows filled.
Checking each file reveals none are read only yet the folder and all sub-folders still show the box filled.

WHY????????????

thx

Hello and welcome onboard. :)

ALSO, when I rt clk on a folder and do properties I get the "Read Only" box filled.
I believe that means that some files/sub-folders are read only and some are not.
If I change that to blank and apply, when I go back to the properties it again shows filled.
I believe this comes from default permissions for shared folders set as read-only access for everyone, probably the same code is applied for the folder attributes when creating a new folder.

~~~~~~~~~~~

Not paying much attention - I just noticed the top line in the right pane as "UNSPECIFIED (xx)" in MOST but not ALL folders.

What is this referring to?????????????
I am not sure what you mean ... could you attach a screenshot?

thanks for the quick reply cybercore

OK, I went back and verified my drive was shared with full permissions to everyone.
checked one folder which I had set full permissions for everyone - but had not shared.
set to shared and when I went back and unchecked the read only box it went thru the process of applying attributes for all folders/files, which it had not previously.
ALAS----nothing changed - the read only box still comes up filled.

ANOTHER WE BUG????????????

========================================
I hope these shots are sufficient-I haven't posted pics before and from this end they look hard to read but the diff on the top line is obvious.

the line above the first folder in the right pane of the first shot shows "UNSPECIFIED (xx)"
the next shot, of a different folder does not show that line.
most folders do have that line.

ScreenShot002.jpgScreenShot001.jpg

thanks for the quick reply cybercore

OK, I went back and verified my drive was shared with full permissions to everyone.
checked one folder which I had set full permissions for everyone - but had not shared.
set to shared and when I went back and unchecked the read only box it went thru the process of applying attributes for all folders/files, which it had not previously.
ALAS----nothing changed - the read only box still comes up filled.

ANOTHER WE BUG????????????

========================================
I hope these shots are sufficient-I haven't posted pics before and from this end they look hard to read but the diff on the top line is obvious.

the line above the first folder in the right pane of the first shot shows "UNSPECIFIED (xx)"
the next shot, of a different folder does not show that line.
most folders do have that line.

View attachment 7169View attachment 7170

1. I don't know the reason why a folder's properties always defaults to read-only, I just know it's been noticed since xp times.

2. Uncategorized in the search:

Searched files that specify the title of the album are grouped under certain heading names. Files that do not have an album title are grouped under the heading of 'Unspecified'.

related info:

How To Arrange Files Using Folder Views

Back
Top Bottom