Windows 7 Windows Explorer Size Column in details displaying size in kb. Always.

canti

I'm running windows 7 65 bit Ultimate.
When I open up a folder and go to "details" view the size is always displayed in kb, even if the file is like 2gb.
How Can I change this?
dfsdf.jpg
Here's a ss of my problem.

Welcome to the forums. A quick search shows that there is no way to change this. It has been around for a while now on different versions of Windows. If it's that important, write back and I'll check if there is a registry hack or third party software to do this but it's 2:00 A.M. here so I'll only check back tomorrow.

Welcome to the forums. A quick search shows that there is no way to change this. It has been around for a while now on different versions of Windows. If it's that important, write back and I'll check if there is a registry hack or third party software to do this but it's 2:00 A.M. here so I'll only check back tomorrow.
It is, I'd really appreciate your help mate.
Sorry for the slow answer but I've been away.

Not much of an answer but, fwiw, I think it is probably MS's intention to display a more accurate view. It has never occurred to me as a problem before.I just mentally move the comma/decimal. As you know, if you select properties, it is then displayed in a larger, less precise, unit. together with (heaven forbid!) the VERY exact figure in bytes!

Not much of an answer but, fwiw, I think it is probably MS's intention to display a more accurate view. It has never occurred to me as a problem before.I just mentally move the comma/decimal. As you know, if you select properties, it is then displayed in a larger, less precise, unit. together with (heaven forbid!) the VERY exact figure in bytes!

Well, I don't think it's the way it supposed to be actually.
I can recall it being shown in mb not kb.

I'm not sure when it occurred but I'm guessing it has something to do with my younger brother changing the theme.

I can't use system restore as I'd loose to much data, and I'm not sure it would fix the problem.
Reinstall isn't an option either since I don't have the spare time to set everything up. (programs, hotkeys and all the other program specific settings).

"I can recall it being shown in mb not kb."

Well, I have not used Xp or legacy's for a while now, but I am sure I remembr it was the same in XP.

"I can recall it being shown in mb not kb."

Well, I have not used Xp or legacy's for a while now, but I am sure I remembr it was the same in XP.
"legacy's"?

I'm running a windows 7 64 bit ultimate.

I am aware of that, I am just wondering where you recalled seeing it in mbs

I did some searching as well, and it appears that it's not possible to switch from kb. Your only option is to use an alternative, third party file manager. Not ideal.

This will become troublesome when we start measuring more and more files in gigabytes. After a while, the numbers become so large the average human eye cannot "move the comma" at just a glance. Fear the exabyte era!

Slightly off thread, I must confess that my very old brain cells have to work hard when I am shrinking or expanding in Windows management!
But there are a couple of very good third party apps. I have tried a few but find they are mostly overendowed with feaures.

remember right clicking a file or folder and clicking properties may show the megabyte, gigabyte, terabyte, etc. size depending on whichever's simplest to display. the byte size is always shown in properties. the folder windows only show the kilobyte size.

Back
Top Bottom