Windows 7 Windows fail to start after update

Shadowpage

I am running windows 7 32-bit and a few days ago I installed a windows update. When my computer restarted it entered the loading screen, but then the screen went black and after failing to load windows, gave me the option to start system repair. I did, and was subsequently able to run system restore, which took me back to before the update and my computer started normally again. I turned off automatic updating, but today when I restarted my pc the update installed again. Tried running startup repair, but there is no more option to enter system restore. When startup repair finishes, it says it can't automatically fix the problem. Upon entering advance restore options and selecting system restore, it indicates that the specified action could not be located and in any other instance says that system restore is offline. Tried starting in safe mode and loading windows using an earlier configuration, but obviously neither one help. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

ok as soon as the box comes up saying repair blah bla, click cancel > advanced options > command promt > type

bootrec.exe /fixboot
bootrec.exe /fixmbr
bootrec.exe /rebuildbcd

restart pc

It does not appear to be a startup problem, so I doubt the suggestion from kaos will work, but worth a try.
Not too clear from your post, but are you getting to the desktop in safe mode, or is that also failing?. Also, are you trying the startup repair from the Installation DVD? If you are not even getting to the desktop in safe mode, it looks like a fresh install may be in order. If, otherwise, you are getting the desktop, you could try uninstalling the updates back to where you thought the problem started, and then "hiding" them, so that they do not reinstall.

Back
Top Bottom