Windows 10 Windows Firewall keeps asking for permissions

eXtremeDevil

Honorable Member
This happens every time I reboot. Windows Firewall asks me for letting an app through. I have granted the access before, but WF doesn't seem to remember. Also, the path is very strange:

Capture.JPG

What may be happening? Thanks!

The path looks like Disk B to some program that's called emule. What puzzles me is the (portable). Have you looked for that path? Have you googled what emule is? Do You have anything portable connected to your PC?

I have that folder and that program, but in C:\. Also, notice the 0 after the B. I do have a B disk where I store backups, but it does not have that path.

And that's just an example, WF asks everytime for permissions and always with thatt weird path :S

Can you remove / uninstall the package containing the emule software and install a freshly downloaded version?
Just a guess, but I was thinking that it might have been corrupted by malware.
And please run malware scans and check your system with your AV first.

I have runned AV scans before. It started happening when I changed my HDD for an SSD, cloning the blocks. eMule is not installed, that's why it is portable hehe.

I am unfamiliar with eMule, I only found webpages from where you can download that package. But some reference is corrupted. Where, the registry some other place? I don't know.
For now I am clueless, sorry.

It's not only eMule, but uTorrent, Logitech Options, DVBViewer... the screenshot was just an example. The thing is that WF asks me on every boot for a couple of apps, when I already granted the access, and always with that weird path.

The path looks like a bug B:0 isn't a real path. Do the other programs that cause the FW prompt also have a strange path like that? Also what AV product are you using and do you torrent a lot? I ask because torrents are a great way to get all kinds of malware and just because you have run some scans doesn't mean your system is clean.

I have ESET and MalwareBytes. This started with the disk change, I assume something is corrupted but I don't know what or where :(

MalwareBytes usually blocks some torrent connections.

I wonder what happens in a CMD window typing "CD B:0\" ( without the both " chars)...

And because you reported more difficulties, it might be time to repair windows through "All settings" > ......

The result is path not found, obviously. Right now this is the only problem on my PC. I don't want to reset my PC, it would take to long to customize all my settings.

Do yourself a favor and stop using Emule. It’s so Ten years ago. Utorrent is your friend.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sorry, but what that has to do with the problem? I actually use eMule a lot, there's a page that still uses it with its own server and I'm part of it.

nop, I formatted it. Is there a way to diagnose WF or something? sfc reports nothing wrong.

EDIT

Or maybe just a cleanup of WF and all its rules. I did a reset but made no effect. Maybe something in the registry?

I suppose you have checked it right from the beginning (reset may have deleted that entry), but do you find your eMule app in Windows Defender > Firewall > Permission for Apps to communicate (I am on Windows with a different language, you will see different names)? Both public and private networks and the app itself are checked?

Registry? I don't know, that is beyond my knowledge.

Back