Windows 7 Windows keeps installing the wrong sound driver

Infi

Honorable Member
[Solved] Windows keeps installing the wrong sound driver

Afternoon all.

I'm slowly working my way round the house upgrading everything to Win7 :rolleyes:, but I've come across a problem on one of the machines I'm hoping someone might be able to help with.

It's a fairly oldish machine. Asus K8V-VM micro with onboard Realtek HD Audio (ALC660 based).

Every time I install Windows (Home Premium), it installs it's High Definition Audio driver, but says it's not working (which it isn't). I've downloaded the latest Realtek driver R2.35 and it does install. On 64 bit it says it's not WHQL but lets me install it anyway, on 32 bit it says it might not be the right driver (but is WHQL), but installs it anyway.

Now as long as I don't reboot, everything's hunky dory. Works like a charm. As soon as I reboot the machine however, Windows reinstalls it's own HD Audio driver and I lose sound again. :eek: I can't see anywhere to force Windows to use this driver and stop arsing around and putting the wrong one back on.

This machine is the designated HTPC in the house by the way, and as the rest of the household are non-technical, I can see this being a bit of a pain ... mostly for me until I get it fixed ;)

So if anyone has any ideas, I'm all ears (until I get nagged to death anyway:D)

Last edited:
Hi Infi,
try this web page (the solution is near the bottom)

Link Removed - Invalid URL

If you can't see your device in the 'Device and printer' page (accessable through control panel) just right-click on any device to see the settings described in the link.
Fingers crossed! :)

I've rebooted 4 or 5 times now. The first time it did the same thing again, but since then it hasn't (touch wood). I'll keep an eye on it for a few more days and then hopefully be ablt to change the thread to resolved.

Cheers :)

Sorted

Well, I've rebooted a few times and the sound driver seems to be holding (touch wood), so

Solved :)

Cheers

Back