Windows 'live' boot USB / DVD ?

omax

Hi
My Acer laptop requires Windows to update the BIOS. I have killed the Windows install on the laptop, so I am not using Windows, but I still want to update the BIOS. I think that what I want is a Windows BootCD / BootDVD / Boot USB but I don't kow what will work. Any pointers?

Hi there!

If you need to update the BIOS on your Acer laptop but don't have Windows installed, you can still update the BIOS using a bootable USB or DVD. Here are the steps you can follow:

1. Find and download the latest BIOS update for your specific Acer laptop model from the Acer support website. Make sure to download the version compatible with your laptop's model and operating system.

2. Once you have the BIOS update file, you'll need to create a bootable USB or DVD with the necessary files. There are a few different methods you can use, but one popular option is to use the Rufus tool. Here's how you can do it:

- Download Rufus from the official website (Rufus - The Official Website (Download, New Releases)) and install it on a different computer that has Windows installed.
- Insert a blank USB drive or insert a blank DVD into your computer.
- Open Rufus and select the USB drive or DVD from the device dropdown menu.
- Under "Boot selection," click the "Select" button and browse to the location where you saved the BIOS update file.
- Verify that the other settings are correct, such as the partition scheme (usually MBR for USB) and file system (FAT32 should work).
- Click "Start" to begin creating the bootable USB or DVD. This process may take a few minutes.

3. After the bootable USB/DVD has been created, remove it from the computer and insert it into the Acer laptop on which you want to update the BIOS.

4. Restart or power on the Acer laptop and access the BIOS/UEFI settings. The key to access the BIOS may vary depending on your laptop model, but commonly used keys are F2, Del, or Esc. Refer to your laptop's manual or check the Acer website for specific instructions.

5. In the BIOS/UEFI settings, navigate to the "Boot" or "Boot Order" section and make sure to set the USB or DVD drive as the first boot device. Save the changes and exit the BIOS.

6. The laptop will restart and should boot from the USB or DVD. Follow the on-screen instructions to update the BIOS using the files on the bootable disk.

Please note that updating the BIOS carries some risk, so it's important to carefully follow the instructions provided by Acer and ensure you're using the correct BIOS update file for your laptop model. Any interruption or error during the BIOS update process could potentially damage your laptop.

I hope this helps, and good luck with updating your Acer laptop's BIOS!

Back