Windows 7 Windows Live Crashing All The Time

deamze

Hi There,

I am using windows 7 64bit Ultimate. I also use Windows Live Messenger and ESET anti virus. The whole system has been working just fine, up until recently. The other day when I signed into live messenger, it just froze and I had to cntrl alt delete to get out of it. I uninstalled it, ran ccleaner, and installed it again and it was working just fine. Today when I signed in it froze, so I did the above again, expect this time when I installed it again it does not work! It signs in just fine, but give it a few seconds and it just freezes, so I have to force out of it.

Does anyone know what could be causing this?

Thanks Hamish :)

Welcome to the Windows 7 Forums :)
Check your event logs to see the posts related to the crash.

try this

You may analyze the Hijackthis log with the following link:

Link Removed - Invalid URL

Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

But most of crashing issues are caused by the hardware drivers and antivirus programs. I would like to suggest you update the BIOS and the hardware drivers for Windows 7 first.

If any blue screens are encountered, I would like to suggest you upload the minidump files via SkyDrive, and let me know the URL by replying this thread. For detailed steps on how to upload files with SkyDrive, please refer to:

Use SkyDrive to upload collected files and post screen shot/picture.

Collect Minidump Files

=================

1. Click "Start", input "SYSDM.CPL" (without quotation marks) in the “Search” bar and press “Enter”.

2. Switch to the "Advanced" tab and click the "Settings" button under "Startup and Recovery".

3. Under "Write debugging information" section, make sure the "Small memory dump (128KB)" option is selected.

4. Make sure "%SystemRoot%\Minidump" is in the "Small dump directory" open box and click “OK”.

If the Blue Screen appears again, please refer to the following steps to collect memory dump files:

1. Click “Start”, type “%SystemRoot%\Minidump" (without quotation marks) in “Search” bar and press “Enter”.

2. Go to your Desktop, right-click on it and create a new folder named "Dump".

3. Copy all the memory dump files (looks like [Mini092008-01.dmp]) in Minidump to this folder.

4. Right-click on the Dump folder, click "Send To", and click "Compressed (zipped) Folder".

5. Please send the ZIP file to us.

If it is inconvenient for you to upload the dump files. I would like to suggest you analyze them with Debugging Tools by yourself. You may install it and it’s Symbol Packages from the following link:

Link Removed due to 404 Error

WinDbg will tell you the possible cause.

If no clue can be found, you may contact Microsoft Customer Service and Support (CSS) via telephone so that a dedicated Support Professional can assist with your request. To troubleshoot this kind of kernel crash issue, we need to debug the crashed system dump. Unfortunately, debugging is beyond what we can do in the forum. Please be advised that contacting phone support will be a charged call.

To obtain the phone numbers for specific technology request please take a look at the web site listed below:

Link Removed - Invalid URL

Regards,

Back
Top Bottom