Windows 7 Windows Live Mail contacts?

Jonzjob

I have just put 7 onto my laptop. It was on Vista Home Premium. I went all through using Easy Transfer on both Vista and then on 7, but I haven't found a way to transfer my conatcts folder to Windows Live Mail?

Can anyone help me with this please?:confused:

Also if I try to look at the help form Live Mail it comes up in French. Is there any way to change this to English?

I had did a full backup to an external and after I loaded Windows Mail I just imported them and it worked great. But I don't know where the transfer files holds the contacts.

I had did a full backup to an external and after I loaded Windows Mail I just imported them and it worked great. But I don't know where the transfer files holds the contacts.
The Contacts folder is in your {username} folder.

As stuey says. You can drag and drop them from the same folder in Vista, across to the windows 7 OS. If they still don't show. in Live mail, open Go - Contacts - File and import. Just in case:: If you have not got the old menu bar, it is still there but hidden by default. Go to the small blue square over on the right of the top bar and click. Then click "Show menu bar"

The problem that I seem to have is that the 'Contacts' folder in the 'Easy Transfer' is in 'Contact File' format and that doesn't show as a valid format when I follow your directions to 'Import' the folder.

And you are unable to see your Vista installation to try the simple drag and drop method?

I can see the contents of the contents folder held on my drive C, but they are in 'Contact File' format and the Live Mail doesn't recognise them as a valid file format.

The only thing I have left of my old Vista install is the folder created by the 'Windows Easy Transfer' wizard which is called 'Windows.old' and the files in the 'Contacts' folder are also 'Contact Flies'.

I was able to Drag and Drop my contacts out of the Windows.old folder into my Contacts folder and it worked. Actually I used Cut and Paste.

I'm having a problem with Windows Live Mail as well, after using Windows Easy Transfer. I did the transfer to our NAS and then, since I was upgrading from Vista Ultimate 32 bit to 7 64 bit on a laptop that had been at full capacity - I decided to format the hard drive, reinstall Vista and the drivers, and then do the clean install of 7.

When I transferred my MIG file back from the NAS, everything was there. I thought. Until I downloaded Live Mail. I have not been able to find my old mail and contacts since the change. I had saved a csv file of my contacts back in May, so I was able to import that into the program so I'm almost up to date there, but I have not been able to locate my emails anywhere.

I have a windows.old folder and a windows.old.ooo folder as well. I have dug through those files to no avail. Any clues?

Maybe you can find them through a path similar to this one inside your Windows.old Folder. It's where I found them in C: drive.

C:\Users\{username}\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Live Mail\{ISP Name}\Inbox

You may need to show hidden files.

Last edited:
Back