Windows Vista Windows Live Movie maker

David hk

Banned
I was looking for a Windows Live Movie maker forum. Somehow I ended up registering here. Hope I did it right.

Win 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1

Subject : Windows Live Movie maker
Problem :
I added a few pictures into WLMM. Under Video Tools, Edit tab, all options are grayed out ( inactive ) except the Duration option.
Why is that and how can I " activate " the grayed out options ?

Thank you.

I believe that you will need to actually save the movie before those other edit option will become available. Maybe make a small movie consisting of a few pics and save it to test. Haven't played with it for a while.
Welcome to the forum
Good Luck
Randy

Hi

I don't know what version of WMM you are using but on the one that I have you have to drag the images to the timeline before you can do anything with them.

Once they are in the timeline you can add effects transitions etc.

I'm using version version 6.1 which I've found to work better then the later version for me.
It gives you more direct control over what effects etc. that you use.

Mike

Hi bassfisher6522,
The video edit tools are grayed out for they only work on videos, not on pictures.
But if you want to add effects on a single picture after splitting them you can do so by adding that picture to movie maker multiple times and add the animation or transition effects as you wish.
HAPPY MOVIE MAKING.

Hi

I don't know what version of WMM you are using but on the one that I have you have to drag the images to the timeline before you can do anything with them.

Once they are in the timeline you can add effects transitions etc.

I'm using version version 6.1 which I've found to work better then the later version for me.
It gives you more direct control over what effects etc. that you use.

Mike

Yeah I use the older movie maker too, using windows 7 I am glad it works as I find windows live movie maker a total joke, whoever designed it must have been insane*

Probably the same design team that made windows 8

I was just using it last night for the first time to trim a video. The interface is a big joke. I've used several video editing tools before but this one gave me the most head scratching.

I was just using it last night for the first time to trim a video. The interface is a big joke. I've used several video editing tools before but this one gave me the most head scratching.

Yeah and when a program for linux can outshine it you know microsoft screwed up.
seriously I would recommend a small dual boot for video editors as linux currently has the best free non linear video editor (kdenlive)
sadly it has no windows port but if you want a video editor that actually makes sense and is on par with Sony Vegas Pro (a $600 app I may ad) a sacrifice of hard drive space (about 20 gigs worth) seems mild in comparison.

I really wish windows did have more free non adware supported video editors that could port to the computer instead of just youtube (seriously the best freeware video tool I used under windows ezvid is good but only exports to youtube, argle lflargle blargle)

Yeah and when a program for linux can outshine it you know microsoft screwed up.
seriously I would recommend a small dual boot for video editors as linux currently has the best free non linear video editor (kdenlive)
sadly it has no windows port but if you want a video editor that actually makes sense and is on par with Sony Vegas Pro (a $600 app I may ad) a sacrifice of hard drive space (about 20 gigs worth) seems mild in comparison.

I really wish windows did have more free non adware supported video editors that could port to the computer instead of just youtube (seriously the best freeware video tool I used under windows ezvid is good but only exports to youtube, argle lflargle blargle)

I have 3 spare 80GB 7200rpm hard drives (got it for $15 each for testing purposes), I can use one to install the video editor. Which linux distro should I use it with? I can boot it up on it's own. Though I already have a Linux Mint 16 running on a laptop. I can give it a try.

Hi

I use Adobe Premiere Elements to do my video editing.
It's cheap, it lets you do a professional looking job and it's easy to use.

Here's a couple of samples of my Lucy Looks at Live videos.

I have a blast doing these. LOL

Mike

I have 3 spare 80GB 7200rpm hard drives (got it for $15 each for testing purposes), I can use one to install the video editor. Which linux distro should I use it with? I can boot it up on it's own. Though I already have a Linux Mint 16 running on a laptop. I can give it a try.

Any distro will be fine, kdenlive is workable on anything.
Though I will warn you it can crash so save often.
Yeah even if kdenlive is the best freeware video editor I know of it still has a few glitches, but it gets better each release

Back