Windows 10 Windows nas of main drive fails?

josephchrzempiec

Hello, I just got done setting up a windows 10 raid setup. Everything is good however I do have a question. What happens if my
Main boot drive fails on me and. I put in a new hard drive with the windows on it, How can I recover my raid drives I created while in windows from the old windows drive?

Will I lost what I have there?

Joseph

If it is in a RAID 1, 5, 6 or 1+0, 0+1 or any other redundant raid config it should be fine if one disk fails.

If it is in a RAID 1, 5, 6 or 1+0, 0+1 or any other redundant raid config it should be fine if one disk fails.

What I mean if If the maain Windows boot drive not the raid drive fails and I put in a new windows 10 hard drive. How can I get back the Raid That I have created with the other windows 10 harddrive that failed?

Joseph

If you mean a software raid (managed by windows). It should still be recoverable. As I understand it there are markers within the drive meta data that are independent of the Windows install and you should be able to access it as if the Windows install were intact.

If you mean a software raid (managed by windows). It should still be recoverable. As I understand it there are markers within the drive meta data that are independent of the Windows install and you should be able to access it as if the Windows install were intact.
That's right, I just read about how to set up a raid. But he asked about problems with the disk itself, where Windows is installed. Here you need to back up the tokens that are stored on the system disk.

Last edited:
Thank you all. For the help and information. I did a test to where I image the main windows boot drive it was 43GB because I have a few things on there. I shutdown the system and took the main boot drive out And I took a second hard drive installed windows on it then used the image recovery. After that was done and rebooted I got everything back with no problem even the raid was there as well. I wasn't sure If I could recover the raid If something happen. So I was thinking of just taking a snapshot of the main boot drive to keep it as incase the main drive failed. It worked.

Joseph

Thank you all. For the help and information. I did a test to where I image the main windows boot drive it was 43GB because I have a few things on there. I shutdown the system and took the main boot drive out And I took a second hard drive installed windows on it then used the image recovery. After that was done and rebooted I got everything back with no problem even the raid was there as well. I wasn't sure If I could recover the raid If something happen. So I was thinking of just taking a snapshot of the main boot drive to keep it as incase the main drive failed. It worked.

Joseph
It's great to hear that our tips helped you solve the problem.

Back