Windows 7 Windows Network Diagnostics tool error

aliasthad

Hi, I hope this is a simple fix!

I tried to run Windows Network Diagnostics and an error occurred. In the details it said the diagnostic file was 'restricted'.

I searched around for answers and found a suggestion to run 'sfc/scannow' in an elevated command prompt. The file checker reported no 'integrity violations' but the Windows Network Diagnostics tool suddenly worked! (in the 2 year life of my Sony Vaio I don't recall it ever working before).

The problem: when I next turn on my computer after it has been shut down, the Windows Network Diagnostics tool has stopped working again - unless I run 'sfc/scannow' - then it runs fine. What could be happening at startup to undo this fix?

Any help greatly appreciated. :teeth_smile:

System Details:
OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
Version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Manufacturer Sony Corporation
System Model VPCCW1S1E
System Type x64-based PC
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU P7450 @ 2.13GHz, 2133 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. R0190Y5, 22/09/2009
SMBIOS Version 2.4
Windows Directory C:\Windows
System Directory C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume2

I suppose my first question would have to be why are you running network diagnostics..having a problem in that area?

If SFC can replace a file it feels it bad, the it will not show a violation. As long as the backup file is not corrupted you are good to go. Any time your run the utility, it will probably replace a few files.

I will have to check to see if I can find out what file is associated with the Network Diagnostics utility. How do you normally start it?

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. My Internet connection dropped out briefly and I just wanted to run the Windows Network Diagnostics to help me figure out where the problem was. It turned out to be the Internet Provider, but I found it extremely annoying that I couldn't use the diagnostic tool and wanted to fix it.

This is the message I see when the troubleshooter won't work:

"An error occurred while troubleshooting: a problem is preventing the troubleshooter from starting."

These are the details it provides:

Package ID - Unknown
Path - C:\Windows\diagnostics\system\networking
Error Code - 0x80070426
Source - Engine
Context - Restricted

I usually start the network troubleshooter by right-clicking on the Internet Connection icon on my desktop, but if I navigate to the folder listed in the error details and double-click 'DiagPackage' I receive the same error message.

I had previously thought the fault was a missing .dll or an access permission problem, but now that I have managed to fix the problem using scannow, I would just like it to stay fixed! I have had problems in the past with Vaio startup programs/services interfering with Windows functionality, which is what made me think it could be something like that again as it may explain why it resets with a computer reboot.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards. :eek:

It seems starting from the network icon requires an extra service to work to start the service mention in the path you received.

Try going to the DiagPackage.diagpkg file in that directory and double clicking. It should open.

Next, open the Services panel (services.msc) and click the top of the name column to get the services in order. Then drop down and look for three services.

Diagnostic Policy Service.........Started.......Automatic
Diagnostic Service Host...........Started.......Manual
Diagnostic System Host............................Manual

Let us know what yours say... If the second one is not started, start it and try again.

You can also start the Troubleshooter from the Control Panel-Troubleshooting-Internet Connections.

Thanks for your reply!

It seems starting from the network icon requires an extra service to work to start the service mention in the path you received.

Try going to the DiagPackage.diagpkg file in that directory and double clicking. It should open.

I tried opening the DiagPackage file in the directory folder and received the same error.

Next, open the Services panel (services.msc) and click the top of the name column to get the services in order. Then drop down and look for three services.

Diagnostic Policy Service.........Started.......Automatic
Diagnostic Service Host...........Started.......Manual
Diagnostic System Host............................Manual

Let us know what yours say... If the second one is not started, start it and try again.

These are all listed as 'running'.

You can also start the Troubleshooter from the Control Panel-Troubleshooting-Internet Connections.

I tried this and received the same error.

I have noticed something very strange. When I read your previous post I tried the Windows Network Diagnostics tool using all three methods discussed and they all worked without running 'scannow' or changing any settings! I restarted my computer - and now they are all reporting errors again! Restarting the computer seems to be what causes the problem, but I have no idea why the troubleshooter suddenly decides to work sometimes. :confused:

Kind Regards.

I have noticed something very strange. When I read your previous post I tried the Windows Network Diagnostics tool using all three methods discussed and they all worked without running 'scannow' or changing any settings! I restarted my computer - and now they are all reporting errors again! Restarting the computer seems to be what causes the problem, but I have no idea why the troubleshooter suddenly decides to work sometimes.
That is a little strange. I wonder if some error is occurring and causing problems.

Does the Diagnostic System Host show as having a manual start? Can you shut it down?

Mine is stopped and I do not have an option to start it. If you cannot stop or if it starts again, check the properties of each service and see if they are set up as the attachment shows...

I am wondering if you need to reinstall your network adapter or have some other network problem...

Attachments

• Diagnostic.GIF
    Diagnostic.GIF
    79.1 KB · Views: 1,694
I suppose I should mention, we need to be careful here. If the service is set to start up by something else, such as a non-windows utility, changing it may disable that utility. I am not suggesting you make any changes to the properties, just see if you can shut it down.

That is a little strange. I wonder if some error is occurring and causing problems.

Does the Diagnostic System Host show as having a manual start? Can you shut it down?

Mine is stopped and I do not have an option to start it. If you cannot stop or if it starts again, check the properties of each service and see if they are set up as the attachment shows...

I am wondering if you need to reinstall your network adapter or have some other network problem...

Hey again :D

The Diagnostic System Host was running and everything (including the other services) looks identical to your attachment. It does show as having a 'manual' start but as far as I can tell it runs automatically on startup. I disabled it in System Configuration/Services and restarted my computer. Still the same error. I re-enabled it with no change.

I updated the Intel(R) WiFi Link 5100 AGN driver and this also had no result.

The weird thing is that the troubleshooter works fine when it decides to work, and it seems the longer I have the computer on, the more likely it is for the troubleshooter to spontaneously start working again! I had hoped that, since it works sometimes, it was just a glitch with the troubleshooter, especially since the System File Checker corrects it every time.

I just have no idea why it works sometimes and not others.

Thanks for the time you have spent trying to help me out with this. It's really not a very big problem and I will continue to look for an answer, but it's probably not worth spending much more effort on. My computer is working fine otherwise!

Kind Regards. :cool:

I suppose I just have to wonder why is the third service running when I can't even start it.

What might concern me is that is some services are ..:confused:.. well I will let Microsoft explain it.

In most cases, we recommend that you do not change the Allow service to interact with desktop setting. If you allow the service to interact with the desktop, any information that the service displays on the desktop will also be displayed on an interactive user's desktop. A malicious user could then take control of the service or attack it from the interactive desktop.

If your logon options are the same as mine then the option to interact with the desktop is not enabled. So, I am not trying to say you have a problem, but both of my systems show Diagnostic System Host (WdiSystemHost) to be stopped and cannot be started. Maybe I am looking at something incorrectly, but something is starting yours. The next time you get the diagnostic to work correctly, check if that service is running..

I think you may be onto something.

The troubleshooter started working again (on its own!) and I checked out the status of Diagnostic System Host and it is listed as 'stopped'.

From the System Configuration/Services list (reached by typing 'msconfig' into the start menu search box) I can stop the Diagnostic System Host or re-enable it (requiring a computer restart). It was listed as 'running' before, but has now stopped on its own.

From the 'Services' dialog box (reached by typing 'services' into the start menu search box as you mentioned) I can see the Diagnostic System Host properties shown in your attachment, and this apparently allows me to change the startup type of the program to 'Automatic', 'Manual' or 'Disabled' under the 'General' tab. It is now listed as 'Stopped' whereas before it said 'Started'.

Interestingly it lists 'no dependencies' under the 'Dependencies' tab. Do you think I should just disable the service? Is something malicious going on? I think I will try disabling this service and at least testing to see if the troubleshooter starts or the service turns itself back on! The 'allow service to interact with desktop' checkbox is most definitely empty.

It is also notable that it was not just the Windows Network Diagnostics troubleshooter that was affected, but any that I tried to open - so I'd say the whole troubleshooting application is susceptible to this error.

**Update** I just disabled Diagnostic System Host and restarted my computer and I still have the same troubleshooter error. Oh well!

Thanks for your help!

Kind Regards. :D

Last edited:
The whole thing may be innocent, but it just looks strange. Of course, I don't really have the experience to say it is even uncommon.

Unchecking the msconfig entry is supposed to keep the service from being loaded. Mine says stopped even in msconfig.

Something else may be involved starting the service, so I will have to do some research and some testing.. I will let you know if I find anything...

I just did a cold boot on my system and noticed the Diagnostic System Host service was started and did have options for starting or stopping. After a period of time, it went back to stopped with no start or stop options. Possibly it starts initially to check the system and then shuts down later.

Still do not have an answer to your problem.

I just did a cold boot on my system and noticed the Diagnostic System Host service was started and did have options for starting or stopping. After a period of time, it went back to stopped with no start or stop options. Possibly it starts initially to check the system and then shuts down later.

Still do not have an answer to your problem.

Thanks! I'm still looking for answers too. I'm trying to find out what that error code might mean - it seems to relate to licensing.

I'll let you know if I discover anything.

Kind Regards. :)

I see another setting you might use. If you open the Action Center, Trouble shooting, change settings, there are check boxes for checking immediately when started. You might try unchecking that to see if it makes any difference.

I assume you have the allow updates already checked..not sure if it would do anything.

There is also an option to allow Windows to check for routine maintenance. Maybe turning it all off and waiting a couple of boots would reset something.

I see another setting you might use. If you open the Action Center, Trouble shooting, change settings, there are check boxes for checking immediately when started. You might try unchecking that to see if it makes any difference.

I assume you have the allow updates already checked..not sure if it would do anything.

There is also an option to allow Windows to check for routine maintenance. Maybe turning it all off and waiting a couple of boots would reset something.

Hi again!

Ok, so I turned off the 'Computer Maintenance' under Troubleshooting/Change Settings and the Troubleshooting application immediately worked! I restarted my computer - and it came up with the error as usual. :frown:

Strangely, I turned the 'Computer Maintenance' setting back on and the Troubleshooter instantly worked again!

It seems there are a few ways of manually fixing the Troubleshooter (scannow/computer maintenance settings), but they are all reset when the computer is rebooted. It certainly makes me think something in the Startup is interfering with the settings.

I have allowed the other update settings you mentioned. I'll try the Windows Maintenance thing next...

Looks like Windows needs a Troubleshooter for the Troubleshooter!

Kind Regards :D

It would seem, if you are getting error messages, that something should show up either in the Event Viewer or the Action Center, or both... The one you show about not being able to start a service is a little vague.

I checked the operation of the trouble shooter, and there are utilities involved you will not normally see. When I try to start one manually, it asks for a password given to me by my system professional....

But other than that, perhaps make sure your anti-virus is not blocking something, like popups or other types of operations. Maybe it has a log also.

Two folks that have a problem in common can probably do more for each other than an outside observer. You guys can compare your systems, like how you installed Windows 7, what utilities you might be running, what devices you have, and anything else you might think of that would cause the unusual problem you both are experiencing.

Two folks that have a problem in common can probably do more for each other than an outside observer. You guys can compare your systems, like how you installed Windows 7, what utilities you might be running, what devices you have, and anything else you might think of that would cause the unusual problem you both are experiencing.

Hi,

I don't mind doing that, but I feel there are too many variables. I have a 2-year old Sony Vaio CW series laptop that had Windows 7 64-bit pre-installed. I am sure the troubleshooter has never worked properly, which makes me think it is some sort of conflict.

Out of the box, this laptop had a conflict with Windows Media Player 12 as the brightness/contrast controls would not work - it turned out to be a conflict with Vaio Event Service (a program I had never heard of) and it took me six months to track down by individually disabling each startup program and rebooting my laptop! I know something about computers, but I am no expert and that's why I was hoping someone with more experience would be able to help out with this.

I am continuing to try and find the source of this problem, but so far the troubleshooter still does not work properly. I will certainly post here if I find a solution! Right now I am eyeing all the crap Sony loads onto their computers...

Thank for all the help and suggestions!

Kind Regards. :cool:

Back