Windows XP Windows not activated

wmn1

A fixed graphic on my Desktop says,"This copy of Windows is not activated."
Windows XP is no longer covered by Microsoft. Everything pertaining to XP receives no help from Microsoft.
How is it possible then, to activate my Dell computer again?
I had to format and reinstall my copy of XP Pro. SO Where does this leave me?
I used the Dell CD to reinstall

SO Where does this leave me?
  • nowhere good... is this computer doing anything on the internet?
  • Does it have to talk to other computers that are themselves on the net?
  • How long does this system have to last before you reformat and start again?
  • is it a work computer (that you are willing to waste spend money on) or just a home system?

1.)Well, for one thing ,I'm reading your reply.
2) No.
3) It really is not a problem .Why should it matter?
4) JUST a home computer? What should that matter to anyone?

You can try and activate with the activation wizard (the keys icon) in the system tray. After the EOL the activation was still working, but that may have changed. If it doesn't then you don't have any other option to activate. If you are connecting to the internet you are putting yourself at risk of being compromised since XP is EOL and there are plenty of now unpatched vulnerabilities. If you're not willing to upgrade, you may want to consider installing a Linux distro on the computer since it will be up-to-date and should work just fine on older hardware. Linux Mint is a good beginner distro and can even be themed to look a lot like Windows.

Thank you for your reply,Neemobeer.
I'm nearing 80 and do not intend to EOL with anything other than XP. I have two GX620 Desktops w/xp pro and one Compaq laptop w/win7..
I do not care for 7 or a laptop. .I personally do not know anyone using other than windoz XP besides my wife who uses an ipad.
So be-it
Thanks again for an honest comment.
WMN1

3) It really is not a problem .Why should it matter?

You get a 30-60 day grace period that may be enough to complete whatever needed a xp system to do… does not apply in your case it seams.

4) JUST a home computer? What should that matter to anyone?

A work computer can activate and patch itself from a stand alone server (wsus) tool for closed (not on the internet) systems this is a better option but you need some skill to set it up and a tech that still has xp supported patches because Microsoft has abandoned theirs… again it does not look to apply here.

p.s. for an xp replacement I’d also recommend Linux mint.

Back
Top Bottom