Windows 8 Windows not booting, black screen

MH27x

Hello, I've been messing with my computer (Laptop) for a few hours now trying to get it to work and it just won't. It got hit on the far right of the touchpad, shut off, and now will not boot.

I figured maybe it was my hard drive just having boot problems so I created a windows 8 bootable USB and tried using bootmbr, fixboot, rebuildbcd in that order to no avail. I then reinstalled windows 8.1 and still got this problem, but now I am receiving Recovery messages stating "After multiple tries, the operating system on your PC failed to start, so it needs repaired." Error 0xc0000001.

I try running startup repair via the USB and after a minute or two of "Diagnosing your PC" I get this;
Startup Repair couldn't repair your PC.
Log file: E:/Windows/System32/Logfiles/Srt/Srttrail.txt
I retrieved this file via cmd/notepad and attached it to this post.

I'd appreciate it if anyone has any ideas that I haven't tried yet. Remember I already reinstalled windows completely and 'fixed' boot.
The only thing I can access right now is CMD via my bootable usb and the bios, safe mode is not even an option because F8 does nothing.ile

Edit: New error message...
File: \Windows\System32\winload.exe
Info: An unexpected I/O error has occured.

Right after pressing enter:
File: \boot\BCD

I'm guessing that my hard drive is done for, but if I am able to salvage it and keep using it then I'd greatly prefer it.

I also just added a chkdsk result and it seems that "The disk does not have enough space to replace bad clusters" But the disk is 500gb..?

Attachments

• SrtTrail.txt
    8.3 KB · Views: 208
  • CHKDSK.txt
    2.1 KB · Views: 224
Last edited:
It seems to me that in your case the problem is rather hardware related.
I would run a Linux live-DVD/USB and test the disk.

I would also recommend running a drive fitness test. If you have access to another system you can download and stick Hiren Boot Disc on a DVD or USB and boot to that. There are a number of drive test tools including Seagate SeaTools.

I would also recommend running a drive fitness test. If you have access to another system you can download and stick Hiren Boot Disc on a DVD or USB and boot to that. There are a number of drive test tools including Seagate SeaTools. happy wheels
Thank you very much for the very detailed help!

Last edited:
Hello, I've been messing with my computer (Laptop) for a few hours now trying to get it to work and it just won't. It got hit on the far right of the touchpad, shut off, and now will not boot.

I figured maybe it was my hard drive just having boot problems so I created a windows 8 bootable USB and tried using bootmbr, fixboot, rebuildbcd in that order to no avail. I then reinstalled windows 8.1 and still got this problem, but now I am receiving Recovery messages stating "After multiple tries, the operating system on your PC failed to start, so it needs repaired." Error 0xc0000001.

I try running startup repair via the USB and after a minute or two of "Diagnosing your PC" I get this;
Startup Repair couldn't repair your PC.
Log file: E:/Windows/System32/Logfiles/Srt/Srttrail.txt
I retrieved this file via cmd/notepad and attached it to this post.

I'd appreciate it if anyone has any ideas that I haven't tried yet. Remember I already reinstalled windows completely and 'fixed' boot.
The only thing I can access right now is CMD via my bootable usb and the bios, safe mode is not even an option because F8 does nothing.ile

Edit: New error message...
File: \Windows\System32\winload.exe

Right after pressing enter:
File: \boot\BCD

I'm guessing that my hard drive is done for, but if I am able to salvage it and keep using it then I'd greatly prefer it.

I also just added a chkdsk result and it seems that "The disk does not have enough space to replace bad clusters" But the disk is 500gb..?

In this case, the error code: 0xc0000001 indicates that there might be some issues with the booting device or some booting files are corrupted. It might also happen if some problem happens with the boot sector of the computer.

Did you make any changes to the computer prior to this issue?

Please follow the methods mentioned below:

Method 1:

I would suggest you to un-plug all external devices, except the keyboard and mouse, then try to boot the computer.

Method 2:

I would suggest you to try performing Startup Repair using Windows 8 installation media from Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE) and check.

To perform Startup repair on your computer, follow these steps:

a. Insert the media such as (USB or DVD) and restart your computer.

b. Press F12 key (typically this is F12, but it can differ between computer manufacturers) and choose the drive that you inserted the installation media into.

c. Once the Windows Setup window appears, follow these steps:

d. Click next and select Repair your computer.

e. You will then see a blue screen and an option to choose. Choose the option Troubleshoot and select advanced options.

f. You may choose StartupRepair from Advanced boot option.

g. Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the Startup Repair.

Method 3: If automatic repair fails, you may try to repair them using these commands through Command Prompt under Advanced Options. Follow the steps:

a. After you boot your computer using Windows 8 installation media, a black screen appears with gray text Press any key to boot from CD or DVD. Press any key.
b) Select the correct time and Keyboard type.
c) Click Repair your computer in the lower left corner.
d) Select Troubleshoot from Choose an option screen.
e) Click Advanced options in Troubleshoot screen.

f) Click on command Prompt.

g) Type these following commands and hit enter after each line of command:

Bootrec /fixmbr

Bootrec /fixboot

Bootrec /scanos

Bootrec /rebuildbcd

Restart the computer and check the issue.

Please reply us on the status of the issue to assist you further. If the above methods doesn’t help, we will proceed with further troubleshooting.

Back