Windows 8 Windows Phone 8/8.1 help needed

I wish Stardock would put out a Version of Decor8 for Windows Phone. On my pc and laptop, it changes my start screen back ground every half hour, just like the desktop themes do on the desktop. Stardock also put's extra images in it. Definitely worth the $5.00.

When I get my 521 later this week, I'll post a few photo's of my desktop and laptop's start screens as an example of it.

P.S. When you get Windows Phone 8.1, you're going to like Cortana.You can speak or type commands and Cortana does whatever you asked.Just to try, I heard it could cover off the wall stuff. I asked it, "Who is your father?". The answer I got was funny. Technically speaking, that would be Bill Gates. You tell it call someone in your contacts list and it does it for you. It also does web searches, opens apps, etc.. Really cool feature.
Yeah, I heard about how cool Cortana is. I just don't know when will I be able to get the 8.1 thru official release.
As for storage, I am good with 64GB expansion on top of 32GB internal storage on my Lumia. I am used to backing up my files manually. When I was still using the HTC One X (with 32GB storage only), I normally start backing up and deleting files when it reaches 75% of the storage capacity. I move everything to an external hard drive connected to my NAS. I can still access those files via web if I need them. The bigger the storage, the longer the backup time is required. I simply don't trust leaving files that matter to me on my mobile phone storage specially photos. I doubt I would be able to reach half the capacity of 64GB before I start backing up again. If you have a NAS that is accessible on the web (a personal cloud that is) , you don't really need a high capacity mobile storage.

Here's a snapshot of my personal cloud storage from my Lumia 1520. The USBDisk 1 , USBDIsk2, etc,. are the external hard drives attached to the NAS device. The NAS device itself has 2TB on RAID 01, and theres 2TB and 2-1TBs attached to it.

wp_ss_20140706_0001.png

Yeah, my microSD card only has about 30-32GB. used. I then found the setting in Windows Phone 8.1 for having it store all store apps, etc. on the microsSD card. When I get the 128GB. one, I'm going to go that route. Now, I have to get my RoboForm stuff on it,too. I'm glad they finally have a Windows Phone version.I'm supposed to have 1.0TB on OneDrive now. Microsoft changed OneDrive recently and if you have Office 365 Home Premium, you're supposed to now have 1.0TB. of storage on it.Before, I had like 48GB. I'm also, waiting until after New Year to renew my old Carbonite account, which is unlimited.

Last edited:
Do you know of any good wireless printing app? I have an Epson wireless printer (XP-310). I don't mind if it's a premium app as long as it works. :)

I've got a Epson, too. I don't know of any app's, but I do know that Epson has both wired & wireless installation programs/drivers. At least they do for my Artisan 710. I didn't bother with it, though. I don't print all that often anymore. Only when I really have to. I just use mine wired.

Actually, I used to go through ink cartridges once a week. Now I only go through 1 set a year. Next month, I have to do that, as I'm out on 3 now and have a document I need to print and send to my state to receive my monthly discount for my Lumia's service. I just rescued a dog, so that and the 521 are where my extra money webt this month. I'm on disability, so I don't have much I can waste anymore.I made a exception on the dog, as my old roommate got evicted and used to beat the dog to impress his friend's.

I got my new 521 and have Windows Phone 8.1 on it. Now I just have to og to Walmart and have them change my sim card authorization from the old 521 to the new one.

Don't have to go to Walmart after all. I had the sim card in wrong. I messed with it and got in the right way and then called it with my other cellphone and it worked. Now, I get to have fun dealing with Bitdefender's support. Their Internet Security 2015 version that came out last week, keep's changing my setting's on my desktop and laptop. I just did a clean 8.1 Update install on the desktop Monday night and it's already changed my settings on it over the last 2 hour's.

Don't have to go to Walmart after all. I had the sim card in wrong. I messed with it and got in the right way and then called it with my other cellphone and it worked. Now, I get to have fun dealing with Bitdefender's support. Their Internet Security 2015 version that came out last week, keep's changing my setting's on my desktop and laptop. I just did a clean 8.1 Update install on the desktop Monday night and it's already changed my settings on it over the last 2 hour's.
congrats! Have fun with your new phone. Actually you shouldn't have to go to Walmart for SIM authorization. You already have an account. You just need to give them the codes printed on the sim by phone. But glad you already fixed it yourself.

Yeah, now I can start having fun with it. Yesterday was all about getting it updated, etc. Today, I'll go through double checking my app settings. Then the fun begins. Apparently the app I had on the old one for ringrones got pulled. I can't find anything that had my old ringtone. I can live with the various Nokia one's the phone has. I was wrong about the free space I have on my 64GB. microSD card. I thought I had 32GB free, but I only have 14.8GBs free on it.Once I get the 128GB one, I'm going to have it save everything to it, instead of the phone.

For the life of me, I can't remember it's name. I went to the Windows Phone store early this morning on my pc. I went through the list of my apps and downloaded all that had ringtones in the name. It only showed 2 in my list and neither of them had it, so I uninstalled them. It possibly could've been a theme app that also had a separate ringtone section in it. I may double check my app list again and get those and go through them. It was JBL's ringtone. He's a guy from World Wrestling Entertainment. If I remember correct it was some sort of Sports ringtones app. The rest in the app, were lame.

That's the one. I downloaded the themes and they didn't have it. How do I get the one you uploaded on my phone ?

The app I originally got it from must have been pulled. Probably because all the other ringtones in it stunk.

That's the one. I downloaded the themes and they didn't have it. How do I get the one you uploaded on my phone ?
Just save it on your phone (on sd card if you want) as mp3. Then get the "ringtone maker" app to convert it to ringtonye. It's very easy to use.
You might need to download the mp3 first on your pc if direct download on your phone doesn't work. Then just drag and drop it to your phone's sd card.

OK. Got the mp3 copied onto the phones microSD card. Now I'm going after the ringtone app. Thanks a lot.

Back