Windows 8 Windows Phone 8/8.1 help needed

I've noticed a huge improvement with Windows Phone 8.1 installed on it. I used to get 4-5 hours with the phones battery. Now I'm getting around 10 hours. Now I just have to pull the back cover off the old 521 and ship the rest of it back to T-Mobile for recycling. I'm keeping the battery, back cover, microUSB cable and power chord as backups for this one.

I've noticed a huge improvement with Windows Phone 8.1 installed on it. I used to get 4-5 hours with the phones battery. Now I'm getting around 10 hours. Now I just have to pull the back cover off the old 521 and ship the rest of it back to T-Mobile for recycling. I'm keeping the battery, back cover, microUSB cable and power chord as backups for this one.
10hrs doing what tasks? My 1520 lasts more that 24hrs using the web a lot. Not so much for calls as people call me in my office landline all the time. :)

Here's a battery status shot:

e4ajyhaz.png

Sent from my
Nokia Lumia 1520
using Tapatalk

Btw, does your new phone come with a $25 voucher that you can use to buy premium apps on WinStore? Download the "Voucher" app. It's actually an app for registering your new handset and you'll $25 voucher in return.

No, not yet. I have their app on my pc's and phone. I also subscribe to their feed in FeedDemon on my pc's. I guess, I'll now join their forum, too.

I just joined their forum and also have it setup in FeedDemon on my desktop pc. Now I just have to add it to FeedDemon on my laptop. I'll do that a little bit later tonight. I have a few errands I have to do first.

Actually it's a T-Mobile based Lumia and Walmart Family Mobile's plan is actually a plan that uses T-Mobile as the provider. It just cost's less than what T-Mobile charge's. My unlimited plan is $39.88 a month. T-Mobile charges $49.**-50.** for the same plan.

I just joined their forum and also have it setup in FeedDemon on my desktop pc. Now I just have to add it to FeedDemon on my laptop. I'll do that a little bit later tonight. I have a few errands I have to do first.
badrobot: Could you post a link for the Voucher app. I did a search in the store on my phone and didn't come up with anything with just Voucher as the name. I got a bunch of results, just none named Voucher. My phone didn't come with a $25.00 voucher. Here's a link to mine. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Walmart-Family-Mobile-Nokia-Lumia-521-Prepaid-Cell-Phone/34443770

Sorry. It's actually called "Gift Voucher". Not sure if your phone model is eligible but no harm trying. Good luck!

wp_ss_20140717_0001.png

When you run the app, you should get a code that you can activate:

voucher2.jpg

Last edited:
No, it's either not available for my phone or Windows Phone 8.1 Developer Preview. 3 Apps come up when I search for it but, none of them even have voucher in the name.

maybe your phone model isn't included in the gift voucher giveaway. My phone is an unlocked version from Amazon. 1520 is not available in any Canadian carrier.
I actually didn't know about the voucher when I purchased my phone. I was just browsing through the WinStore and I discovered the gift voucher app by chance.

Last edited:
It could be. Mine's on the low end. The only Windows Phone that's lower than mine, is the Lumia 520 which is I believe a AT&T exclusive. The 520 only has 3G. Mine has low end 4G.Eveything else on both are the same.The other difference is I don't think the 520 will work on Walmart Family Mobile. For now, I think I have the only Windows phone that will work on it. That will probably change in a few month's as T-Mobile now has the Nokia Lumia 635. Which mean's Walmart will probably have a Walmart Family Mobile Nokia Lumia 635 some time in the near future. More than likely before Christmas.

I meant to mention before, it's a shame about your battery. Your phone is the U.S. version of the Lumia Icon, which is only sold over seas. They are the very top of the Windows phone's on the market and the customer should be able to remover their own battery in them.

I know. I don't understand why some phones are designed that way. Anyway, my previous phone (an HTC One X-android) also has a non-removable battery. The battery is still good after 2 years so I figured it's ok since 1520 has better battery life. This should serve me well before I get another phone at least 2 years from now. :)

The 1020 also has a weird design having the highest 41MP camera but doesn't have storage expansion slot.

Last edited:
In all reality that's something they should do on the low tier phone's, not the top tier one's. They probably figure the person has $500.00 + to spend, so they can afford to waste money paying a shop to put a new battery in.

Back