WINDOWS RDP ISSUES

emo

I have a Windows server and previously was able to connect (RDP) to it with the hostname without any issues. Now I cannot RDP to it with the hostname, but can RDP with the IP address. The server is the DNS server, I am able to ping it with the hostname (meaning there are no NDS issues). The server replies with its legit IP address (192.168.1.2) and the machine I'm pinging from has an IP address 192.168.1.3, so there is no IP conflict. When I try to RDP to it with its hostname I get the following error: 'Your computer could not connect to another console session on the remote computer because you already have a console session in progress'.

I have tried QWINSTA and RWINSTA on both machines (locally and remotely), flushed the DNS on both machines and have restarted both with no luck. I would appreciate it if someone could help with this.

Thank you.

Have you killed any active sessions? Server only allows 2 connections unless you have the RDS role with RDS cals

To resolve this issue, you can try the following steps:
  1. Connect to the server using RDP using its IP address.
  2. For this Open Task Manager on the server and go to the Users tab.
  3. Look for any disconnected sessions, and if you find any, right-click and select "Log off" to close them.
  4. Once all disconnected sessions have been logged off, try connecting to the server using RDP using its hostname again.
If the issue persists, you may want to check the Remote Desktop settings on the server to ensure that it is set up to accept connections via its hostname.

Back