Windows 7 Windows resource protection

TrojanHorse27

HI

When i try to repair my system file inserting my win 7 DVD i get a a message as windows resource protection could not start the repair service windows 7 I tried fixing it through msc.services setting "windows Modules Installer" setting it to manual [Link Removed due to 404 Error but it was not done please help me.
Warm Regards
TJH27

Last edited:
Are you trying to run a System File Check (sfc /scannow)? If you are, you might check the link to run it from the Install DVD offline.

Link Removed - Invalid URL

If you are trying to do something else, advise.

@ Saltgrass
I am trying the same way to check (sfc /scannow) but when i enter in cmd sfc /scannow /offbootdir=d:\ /offwindir=d:\windows
i get the error message as windows resource protection could not start the repair

I just ran a SFC with the Windows Module Installer service (TrustedInstaller) disabled and got the error you show. This should not happen if you run the check from offline, since you are not using the system's service.

Are you booting to an Install DVD to open the command prompt and not using the password required repair option? Are you sure D: is your Windows 7 install partition?

Yes i am booting it from DVD yes and i am using the password required repair option.
Should is enable or disable Windows Module Installer service in services

Last edited:
Maybe the error message is being caused by something else.

If you go to Services.msc and check the properties on Windows Module Installer, does it show the start as Manual and is the Start button available. If so, try starting it to see what happens. If it starts, try running SFC again. If it won't start, we will have to see if we can find out what is stopping it. Since there are no dependencies, if you have the TrustedInstaller installed, it should start...

You might check the Event Viewer to see if any error or warning messages are showing up.

Maybe the error message is being caused by something else.

If you go to Services.msc and check the properties on Windows Module Installer, does it show the start as Manual and is the Start button available. If so, try starting it to see what happens. If it starts, try running SFC again. If it won't start, we will have to see if we can find out what is stopping it. Since there are no dependencies, if you have the TrustedInstaller installed, it should start...

You might check the Event Viewer to see if any error or warning messages are showing up.

The Windows Module Installer, it show the start as Manual should is keep the
Windows Module Installer as manual or automatic or disable it and then start sfc/scannw how can i see that in event viewer if there is problem how can i correct it.

If I understand your question, leave it in Manual, or set it to Automatic, if you want. The default setting is Manual.

Were you able to start the service yourself, if it wasn't already running?

If the service is running and SFC continues to give the error message, something else is causing the problem.

If I understand your question, leave it in Manual, or set it to Automatic, if you want. The default setting is Manual.

Were you able to start the service yourself, if it wasn't already running?

If the service is running and SFC continues to give the error message, something else is causing the problem.

@ Saltgrass if the problem still persists what should i do ? or go for format of all Harddisk drives and go for clean installation of OS

Last edited:
I can't answer your question if you don't answer mine. Since we still don't know what is causing the problem, a reinstall is always an option.

If you have the Install DVD, you can do an upgrade install from within Windows and it will reinstall the system, but leave your programs and data alone. But it is always prudent to have a backup. I always keep an image of my install.

Edit: I should add, if you are running SP1, you need a DVD with that version, which you can download if you need to.

Link Removed - Not Found

Last edited:
I can't answer your question if you don't answer mine. Since we still don't know what is causing the problem, a reinstall is always an option.

If you have the Install DVD, you can do an upgrade install from within Windows and it will reinstall the system, but leave your programs and data alone. But it is always prudent to have a backup. I always keep an image of my install.

Edit: I should add, if you are running SP1, you need a DVD with that version, which you can download if you need to.

Link Removed - Not Found

@ Windows Module Installer turned to automatic and the sfc /scan was successful have already downloaded this and the DVD is ready but wondering why is that error even my PC is not infected with virus or root kit

Last edited:
Back