Windows 7 Windows Search Not Working

MUFC7

Good day,
While using my PC over the weekend I noticed that the windows search option no longer works. If I try and search for something it says 'No Items Match Your Search'. For instance if I open the Music Folder and search for something which I can clearly see it gives me nothing. I've tried going into the contol panel and reseting to default and tried doing a system restore but no luck. Has anyone else had similar issues? If so, how can I fix it? Am I going to have to do a fresh install? I don't want to as I will lose alot of my programs.

Are there any other programs I can use to replace that function. With all the music files I have this is a nightmare.

Also,

Locate32

Good day,
While using my PC over the weekend I noticed that the windows search option no longer works. If I try and search for something it says 'No Items Match Your Search'. For instance if I open the Music Folder and search for something which I can clearly see it gives me nothing. I've tried going into the contol panel and reseting to default and tried doing a system restore but no luck. Has anyone else had similar issues? If so, how can I fix it? Am I going to have to do a fresh install? I don't want to as I will lose alot of my programs.

Have you tried reenabling the feature this way:

How To Disable Search In Windows 7

Is Windows Search service enabled in your system and running?

Control Panel --> Administrative --> Services

Yes it is. I tried fixing it for over 3 hours yesterday with no luck. I'll check once again just to be sure. After searching this forum I've noticed two other cases like this but both were unable to solve the problem. Maybe it's just a bug or glitch. I'm completely lost, I must admit.

I personally don't use the Windows search, but I've found this Windows Search Fix from M$. There's also a registry fix from M$, from January '10, whether it has been superseded I couldn't tell you. You'll also have to hand over your e-mail address, Mothers maiden name, inside leg measurement etc. etc. to download it.

Hi

I have noticed the same thing.
Windows search will not find something that I'm looking at on my screen.
I have been using Locate 32.

This seems like something that Microsoft needs to get fixed.
What is more basic to an operating system the a search engine?

I have had Window 7 on two computers and it didn't work on either.

Mike

My gripe with the Search engine is you need to set it up to say, search hidden files, system files etc.

Imagine:-
"Now I've just got my new Windows 7 PC, I need to set up the Search, I wonder where I do that? I know, I'll do a Search."

Hmm! Maybe not.

To top it off i just called Microsoft and they want $60 plust tax to speak to a tech. Talk about putting it in sideways.

In "Turn Windows Features On or Off" (Control Panel > Programs and Features) is Windows Search ticked?

In Regedit, navigate to this key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE***\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FolderTypes\{EF87B4CB-F2CE-4785-8658-4CA6C63E38C6}\TopViews\{00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}
In the right hand window check that the GroupBy string value data is System.StartMenu.Group

***This may also be under HKEY_CURRENT_USER

Also if you have a 64 bit system check this key as well
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\explorer\FolderTypes\{ef87b4cb-f2ce-4785-8658-4ca6c63e38c6}\TopViews\{00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}

Last edited:
Yup it's ticked. I even tried disabling it then restarting and enabling it and restarting again.

Where do I find those registries?
Well not through Search, that's for certain!! :);)

It also sounds as though you don't go in your registry. It can be a deep and dangerous place. What I mean is, if you delete or change the wrong entry you may kill your PC. Although you shouldn't be going anywhere too dangerous. Before we go down that route can you go into your "Services" and check that Windows Search is running? It should be on Automatic or Automatic (Delayed Start).

Right click your Taskbar, Select Start Task Manager, Click on File then New Task (Run...). Type in services.msc and press OK.

Are you on 32 bit or 64 bit?

To get to Regedit, Right-Click Taskbar, select Start Task Manager, In Task Manager click on File and then click on New Task (Run...). Type in Regedit or Regedit.exe and press OK.
Link Removed due to 404 Error
In the Registry Editors Menu Bar, press Edit and select Find...
Enter {ef87b4cb-f2ce-4785-8658-4ca6c63e38c6} and press Find Next.

If you find any entries under HKEY_CURRENT_USER then delete the entry by right clicking and selecting Delete, then confirm Deletion.

Search for the next entry by pressing F3. For any (two) entries you find under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, the GroupBy string value should read System.StartMenu.Group as in above picture. If it doeesn't, right-click and select modify to change it so it does.

Attached is the M$ hotfix in a zipped file that does the above for you. And here is the link that tells you about it.

Last edited:
Back