Windows 7 Windows Security Suddenly Needs Network Password

Craig Wolfe

My Windows 7 PC is asked for a Network Password (Windows Security Dialogue Box) on a home network when trying to access files on my XP machine on a two-PC home network. This was never been asked before. Windows 7 did a Windows Update last night and rebooted my computer. UserNames and passwords did not work. I did disable this feature from other recommendations... Local Policies > Security Options > Accounts: Limit local account use of blank passwords to console logon only.

My XP machine can access files on my Windows 7 machine and does not ask for a password.

the network password is normally the password to access your internet connection, these can range from WEP, WPA Tsk or WPA -AES

what sort of router do you have, and what are you trying to do to get this popup?

just to add if its asking for a username and a password on your pc then enter the other pc's username and password, if you dont have a password then leave it blank

i had a brain wave that u might be talking about file sharing through either a router or cross over cable

the network password is normally the password to access your internet connection, these can range from WEP, WPA Tsk or WPA -AES

what sort of router do you have, and what are you trying to do to get this popup?

Windows 7 machine is named PC2011. XP machine is named Athlon. While on PC2011, I am trying to see files or access files on Athlon. The dialogue box shows a user PC2011\Jamie. Jamie is logged in on Athlon. (attached screen shot) Her password does not work. I am not aware of any password for WEP, WPA Tsk or WPA -AES. I see no reason that this started. My home router is a Cisco Linksys E2000.

Attachments

• Network Password Issue.pdf
    60.1 KB · Views: 543
yea ive done this on my pc, as far as im aware you do need to turn on remote desktop connection on the athlon pc your trying to connect to

yea ive done this on my pc, as far as im aware you do need to turn on remote desktop connection on the athlon pc your trying to connect to

I turned on Remote Desktop on the XP (Athlon), but still no access... What has caused this change?

prob a setting within windows, something doesnt like it, are u connecting through wireless or cable... and are u using remote desktop connectio??

prob a setting within windows, something doesnt like it, are u connecting through wireless or cable... and are u using remote desktop connectio??

Cable connection. I have not heard of "remote desktop connection" before now. What I did on the XP (Athlon) was to go to My Computer > Properties > Remote Tab > and checked the Remote Desktop box.

a cross over cable is essentially a double ended ethernet cable lol

give me 10 mins n ill look at my pc setup for u ;)

do me a favour pleaswe

go to start
control panel
network and internet

network and sharing centre
change advanced sharing settings

home or work

make sure
"password protected sharing is turned off"

BRAIN WAVE :D

Back
Top Bottom