Windows 8 Windows Store and all other Windows apps won't open

Syder

Attempted to update to 8.1 yesterday and the store just won't open. Every time I click on the Store tile it doesn't get past the green introductory screen before just disappearing (crashing).. Have restarted several times and used the link-through on the Windows 8.1 site. Also, I have since discovered that all apps won't open either (such as news and sports).. Any help?

All updates available for Win 8 from the WU have to be updated before the Store app will allow the Win 8.1 update to appear.

I have all updates installed. I've run app troubleshooter and it hasn't helped.

Have you checked to see if net.framework 3.5 is turned on? That may be the problem for your tiles not working.

Hi Syder,

Open up your uninstall program and to the left you will find where it says to turn on or off features. Click on that and a screen will open up for you to see if it is enabled. Be sure to click on the + sign and see if both boxes are checked. If not check them both.

At this point I would open an Elevated Command Prompt (Win+X you will see it) Then type "sfc /scannow" without the quotes. This will look for corrupted system files. May fix the problem. Otherwise you might have to Refresh or Reset your Win 8 before updating to Win 8.1.

Try what Medic suggested. If that doesn't work, open Elevated Command prompt again and try this command.

"Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /Restorehealth"

At this point I would open an Elevated Command Prompt (Win+X you will see it) Then type "sfc /scannow" without the quotes. This will look for corrupted system files. May fix the problem. Otherwise you might have to Refresh or Reset your Win 8 before updating to Win 8.1.
After doing this, I got this message. Not sure what to do next.

probrem_zpsdc8cb2e9.png

Do you have an installation disk for Win 8, or did you perhaps make a System Recover Disk? If not, do so and see if booting to the Recovery Console might help with a repair install.

Do you have an installation disk for Win 8, or did you perhaps make a System Recover Disk? If not, do so and see if booting to the Recovery Console might help with a repair install.
I upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 8 from a deal Microsoft were offering when Windows 8 was first released. I don't have a disc all of the upgrade was done through the internet.

Well that post didn't go as planned.
Have you tried Sonny's recommendation from above. From an elevated command prompt type
DISM /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth
and hit enter
then type
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
and hit enter
then run the System File Checker again type
sfc /scannow

Well that post didn't go as planned.
Have you tried Sonny's recommendation from above. From an elevated command prompt type
DISM /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth
and hit enter
then type
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
and hit enter
then run the System File Checker again type
sfc /scannow

probrem2_zpsf0f43859.png

It looks to have fixed something.. Hasn't changed the Store or App problem though

Hi Syder:
Troublesome problem for sure. I haven't seen the DISM tool that was recommended to you above; and I ran into a similar problem today at a Windows8 workshop for beginners I worked at today at my local computer club. I had a brand new Lenovo laptop with Win8 factory install do something similar. Some Apps tiles worked such as "Explorer", "Maps", and "Finance", but the "Store" tile and "Kindle Tiles did not! I rebooted several times, then realized it could be a possible hardware problem. *I'll tell you more on that in a minute*.

My workshop student had multiple problems with this laptop and it was only 2 weeks old! While trying to solve his App problem, I discovered that his AC Adapter had failed, and wouldn't recharge his laptop battery. We disconnected the AC Adapter and run just from the battery and rebooted multiple times (before the battery discharged completely); but no luck. My point here is that he's got some hardware problems. We had like 9 other laptops and desktops running various versions of 8.0 & 8.1 and no one else had this particular problem; including at least 3 of those laptops being updated via the Internet as your was. None had this weird App problem.

My bet is that it is due to running older hardware with the newest Windows release *8.1*, and this has always been a problem with older computers running new Windows versions. It happened on Win7, Vista, XP, 2000, all the way back to Windows 1.1!

Microsoft has included the Upgrade Assistant with a link (I don't have it here with me but will look for it) to check your hardware to see if it's compatible. The old product was called Microsoft Compatibility Assistant. You may remember that one.

Since the quick repairs didn't work, I'm suggesting this could be your issue. Would you please download SPECCY, and post the results here for us to look at? If you can, Google the "UPGRADE ASSISTANT" and run that report and also post here, if you can.

If this presents to much work for you, I completely understand. If you do Post, it might help us pinpoint your problem and support my Postulation that it's a hardware compatability issue.

Your alternative would be to completely backup your critical data from the system you are on now, and reinstall from Factory Recovery Discs that came with your computer in the box. If you don't have the Recovery Discs and you have a name brand PC such as Dell, HP, Gateway, Toshiba, Lenovo, Sony they usually have a Utility to produce those discs onto DVD or Flash drive for Recovery purposes. Additionally, modern PC's running Win7 or better such as yours also have that Recovery software stored on a hidden partition on your internal hard drive you can access via the F8 or F5 key through Windows Recovery Console. If you don't have the discs, or your PC doesn't have a DVD burner and you can't produce them, you can restore your system to what we call "OOB Condition" or "Out-Of-Box Condition", or the conditon your computer was in when you took it out of the sealed factory box. *of course this assumes that you purchased your Win7 computer brand new*.

I would try a rebuild to Factory Win7 and then re-apply the update from links that Mike Fara provides on this sub-forum sticky at: http://windowsforum.com/threads/windows-8-1-rtm-now-available-for-download.176800/

If this still doesn't work you should consider taking your PC into a competent repair Shop that employes licensed Technicians to sovle it.

Looking forward to your Posts and or results.

BIGBEARJED

Would you please download SPECCY, and post the results here for us to look at?

Speccy Results

I should add that this is a system I have built myself 14 months ago and have had no problems since I built the rig. Generally, whenever issues pop up I can deal with them instantly but this one has got me completely stumped.

Hi Syder: Wow! That was fast, I was expecting this to take days to hear back from you. Thanks for posting your results back so quickly. :D I must say, this appears to be a very solidly built and well-performing system. :) Your voltages and temperatures all look great from the hardware standpoint. :) The configurations and updates are all in good shape. I just took a cursory look at everything, but I don't see anything that jumps out at me that I can point my finger at and say "that looks wrong!".

I will enlist the help of some of the other Admins and Moderators here to take at look at your SPECCY report. They also may have you run some other tests as well.

Can some of you guys take a look at this and give us some further input?

Perhaps we will hear from more people about this problem and a possible solution, short of a complete 8.1 windows reload.

Thanks--
BIGBEARJEDI

Back
Top Bottom