Windows 10 Windows Store Doesn't Open.

MikeHawthorne

Essential Member
Microsoft Community Contributor
Hi

I'm trying to figure out why the Windows store doesn't open.
I've run the "dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth" process and it didn't help.

Here's the weird thing, the Store Icon, isn't labeled "Store".
If I go to it in the all apps list is has a label of...

@{winstore_1.0.0.0_neutral_n... at this point the line runs out of the box so I can't see what the rest of it is.

Does anyone know where I'd find the actual .exe file that the Store Icon is supposed to point to?
Maybe all I need is a correct link.

Mike

Mine's located in C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.WindowsStore_2015.7.22.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe

Hi

Thanks for the response.

Funny I don't have an address like that.
This is what I find in my Windows Apps folder....

Windows%20Apps_zpsmxokl5xv.jpg

Some Javascript files but no Microsoft subfolder.

Mike

C:\Program Files\WindowsApps is very protected, and hidden well ;)

Yeah it's funny, when I went back and tried to open it a second time it said Access Denied and I couldn't get past it even with my admin privileges.

Is there still a hidden Windows Administrator account in Windows 10?

I havn't tried that.

Aparently not, at least I couldn't access it when i tried.

It's not like I really want to access the store, I just hate it when things don't work right.
I wish I could do a complete fresh install of Windows 10 on another drive and start clean instead of updating.

I've carried several glitches along for the last 3 updates.

I wonder if Reset really would reinstall it without picking up any of my old settings etc.
It might be worth is if I was sure it would work.

It takes a couple of days to get everything up and running again when I do it.

Mike

Last edited:
I'd say bite the bullet and install from the ISO fresh, in the long run it may save you more headaches.

Hi

I'm trying to figure out why the Windows store doesn't open.
I've run the "dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth" process and it didn't help.

Here's the weird thing, the Store Icon, isn't labeled "Store".
If I go to it in the all apps list is has a label of...

@{winstore_1.0.0.0_neutral_n... at this point the line runs out of the box so I can't see what the rest of it is.

Does anyone know where I'd find the actual .exe file that the Store Icon is supposed to point to?
Maybe all I need is a correct link.

Mike
I have two apps that have had their names change in the start menu, but they both still open.

@{Microsoft.People_1.10159.0.0x64__8weky...
and
@{Microsoft.3DBuilder_10.0.0.0x64__8weky...

I unloaded 3D Builder and reloaded it and that fixed the name but People is an app you can not delete so I guess I will have to wait until MS updates the app or until I do a clean install.

One second Mike I need to test.... let's see...

you should be able to use:

dism /online /Add-ProvisionedAppxPackage [your_store_app_id]

You can also try running WSReset (Just type it into your start menu), or deleting the Windows Store cache which should be located here:

C:\Users\user_name\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.WindowsStore_xxxxxxxxxxxxx\LocalCache

I wish I could do a complete fresh install of Windows 10 on another drive and start clean instead of updating.

I've carried several glitches along for the last 3 updates.

I wonder if Reset really would reinstall it without picking up any of my old settings etc.
It might be worth is if I was sure it would work.

It takes a couple of days to get everything up and running again when I do it.

Mike

Mike, you can do a fresh install on another drive if you have already activated your current version of Windows 10. You can download the Windows 10 media creation tool from MS. Download the correct version. (64 bit or 32 bit ) When running the tool you will have to choose what version (Pro or Home, language version,etc..) Run it on your system that already has Windows 10 installed and after it does a quick scan for compatibility, it will give you an option to "Upgrade this PC now" or "Create installation media for another PC". Select the latter choice and download it. After the download finishes you can run it on whatever drive you choose.

When you try to activate it you may have to call MS and verify that you have Windows 10 installed on one computer and the automated system will give you a verification code that will allow it to be activated. Keep in mind that you may not even get an activation error code. I just wanted to give you a contingency plan if the above steps didn't produce an activated system. It only takes about 5-10 minutes to activate the OS if you choose the automated way. I had to do this myself just a few days ago. In case you need more details about this, here is an article that I read a few days ago that addresses this issue:
How to do a clean install of Windows 10 (from Windows 7 and 8)

Hopefully this will be helpful to you.

Hi

Thanks for the information.
I already have a install disk for the retail version made.

What I'm not sure of is the verification thing.
I don't have another version of Windows installed only Windows 10 through the Insider Program.

I'm thinking that I'll have to reinstall Windows 8 and upgrade through the whole thing again to get registered.

What I don't know is, if I reinstall it and log in with my Windows Account will it authenticate my new Windows install through the Insider Program again?

My other option it to do a reset on my current install and see if it will get rid of all the glitches that I have that other people don't.

Maybe if I do that I can clone it to the other drive and then start installing all my software again from that install?

But eventually I'm going to have to go through the whole upgrade the process to get out of the Insider program.

Mike

Hi

I just noticed that my Windows Store Icon has returned to my Start Menu.
I clicked on it and the Windows Store opened and is working.

I don't know how that happened but it?

Anyway tomorrow I'm going to try and reinstall Windows 8 and work through the updates to Windows 10.

Mike

Mike, it seems you have been having problems throughout the Preview process. Perhaps there is something you are doing or some software you are using is involved. I seem to remember at one time registry cleaners may have been involved.

If you have activated 10240 you should not need to go back to Windows 8 and start over. Try just doing a clean install of 10240 and see if it will activate.

Hi

Well I could do a clean install if I had updated to Windows 10 to start with.

But as I understand it, if you did Windows 10 as a clean install in the insider program as I did then you have to go back and upgrade from your original OS to get out of the program.

That's what I'm trying to do, get an install based on my original Windows install without the insider connection.
Everything I've read says that you can only do that by upgrading.

I have been carrying errors along through the last 3 upgrades, prior to that the only problem I had was with sound drivers for my Sound Blaster card, I finally got around that by not using it.

Right now I don't seem to be having any problems except the fact that for some reason in the last 3 builds most of links on the right click dropdown menu from the start icon don't work.

I really wish that I could just install Windows 10 directly on my new SSD, it would make things a lot easier, but I'm pretty sure that I could only activate it through the program.

So I'm going to use the recovery drive from Falcon to get it back to the way it was the day I got it and go from them.

If you have any info on how to get around doing this let me know, it would save me a lot of work, I already have a Windows 10 install disk made.

It seems to me that it would have been easy for them to make it so you could activate W10 using your Windows 8 serial number.
But you can't even upgrade from Windows 8 to 10 without upgrading to Windows 8.1 first.

Seems like they made it harder on the people in the insider program then they did everyone else.

Mike

You bring up many points. Maybe one at a time can be addressed.

If you are currently in the Insider program with an activated install, all you have to do is select stop insider builds and it will reboot you system and take you out of the Insider program on that system.

If you ever did an upgrade from Windows 8.1 or 7 during the Insider program on that system, even though you later switched to clean installs of preview builds, it may still activate. You really have nothing to loose except time by trying a clean install, just in case.

As far as the right click menu on the start button, I find that very helpful. But there is an App called System in the All Apps section which does some of the same things.

Activation has always been a grey area. It seems to always take months after an OS is released to start to understand what you can or cannot do. Windows 10 is an entirely new situation... the only way to find out is to test.

Hi

I do use the System Icon instead of the right click drop down, but I did like having the right click drop down from the start icon.

As I understand it, if you leave the insider program your validation stops after a certain amount of time unless you get a serial number or upgrade from a previous version of Windows.

I never did an upgrade from any earlier version of Windows, I installed clean to start with and upgraded from there.

I asked various places and the only answer I've gotten is you have to upgrade from a previous version unless you have a Windows 10 serial number, which you have to pay for.

So I guess that I have two options.

I can do a clean install of Windows 10 on my new SSD, and validate it through my Microsoft account and stay in the Insider Program.

Alternately I can install Windows 8 from my recovery drive, and go through the entire upgrade process until I get to Windows 10 and no longer be in the insider program.

I'm tempted to take the easy way out and just install Windows 10 and stay in the program, how much of a hassle can it be if I stay in the slow ring? And I will get to see the new updates earlier.

I could do that for a while, but I'll have to do the other process within a year if I don't want to stay in the program.
I understand it or the update option will run out in a year, after that you are stuck in the Insider Program for ever, or buy Windows.

The reason I haven't done it yet is because I can't make up my mind! LOL

Mike

I did a clean install on my system that was originally 8.1 to the insider builds today. I used Magical Jelly Bean keyfinder to find my Windows 10 key, then booted from a DVD I made with the media tool and it took the Win 10 key just fine and activated. I can say that the clean install was a good option, however I encountered lots of quirkiness until the system did updates, and a few reboots.

I did a clean install on my system that was originally 8.1 to the insider builds today. I used Magical Jelly Bean keyfinder to find my Windows 10 key, then booted from a DVD I made with the media tool and it took the Win 10 key just fine and activated. I can say that the clean install was a good option, however I encountered lots of quirkiness until the system did updates, and a few reboots.

I used Magical Jelly Bean keyfinder to find my Windows 10 key,

And I bet the key you found have a 3 and 6 in the last 5 numbers? If you have multiple activations, check them all...

I don't understand way some folks are fighting the new way to activate...

Back
Top Bottom