Windows 10 Windows Store Doesn't Open.

It's my unique insider key that it came up with.

It's my unique insider key that it came up with.
So you answer is it does not contain a 3 and 6. Since both of my installs had the same key, I have to assume all Windows 10 installs use the same key.

Hi

"I don't understand way some folks are fighting the new way to activate..."

What new way to activate?

The problem is that I never updated from any other version of Windows.
I did try and install Windows 8.1 directly using the Windows 8.1 key that I extracted from the registry but it would not validate it.

But my computer doesn't show any serial number for Windows 10 because it was always installed within the Insider Program.

I now have Windows 8 installed on my new SSD and am in the process of updating.
This is going to take a while.

Mike

If you remember, Mike, at one time you could activate 8.1 using a general key which was known during the 8 to 8.1 upgrade process. Prior versions of Windows came with some type of License key. With Windows 10, you do not need a prior license as long as the install has originally been done as an upgrade and activated.... As long as you have that same system configurations, you will not need a license key to install cleanly.

My current Windows 10 install was in the Insider program and was originally updated from 8.1. But the last several months, only clean updates had been done. It activated with 10240 and even after leaving the Insider program, it still activated. Another system which was not in the Insider Program, but upgraded normally and activated, has the same key as the Insider system.

Someone buying an OEM or Retail version of Windows 10, will have a license key but I have not seen one.

I suppose this will all be worked out, given enough time.

Hi

Well I'm working through the update process now.
I don't want to stop in the middle.

When I looked at Microsoft support it said that you had to update from a previous version of Windows to activate Windows 10 outside of the insider program and if you left the program you validation would lapse at some point, if you had not updated from Windows 7 or 8.1 to start with.

It said when it would lapse but I don't remember when.

It said that as long as you stayed in the Insider Program your install would stay valid.

But I think the difference between you and I is that I never updated from any prior version of Windows with my Windows 10 install.
While you did originally update from Windows 8.1.

So they see my install the same as someone who never did had a valid version of Windows installed.

By the way, when I looked at the key that's in my Windows 10 registry it shows a key for Windows 8.1 Pro.

I tried to install Windows 8.1 directly using this key (thereby bypassing the upgrade process from 8) but it wouldn't validate it or let me proceed with the install process.

Mike

Last edited:
When I looked at Microsoft support it said that you had to update from a previous version of Windows to activate Windows 10 outside of the insider program and if you left the program your validation would lapse at some point, if you had not updated from Windows 7 or 8.1 to start with.
Totally agree.

It said that as long as you stayed in the Insider Program your install would stay valid.
That is the reward to the Insiders since they refused to give folks free upgrades.

But I think the difference between you and I is that I never updated from any prior version of Windows with my Windows 10 install. While you did originally update from Windows 8.1.
Again, I agree.

That is why I keep saying the system must have been upgraded for a qualifying OS. I had one system, clean Insider .iso install, which was never registered with the Insiders program but did have an activated 10240 install. A clean install on that system would not activate. I never considered the possibility of a system being upgraded earlier in the Insider process would be able to activate automatically, but right now, that appears to be the case.

Well the update process line in Windows Updates it getting close to the end.f
Then I'll have to go to the store and get Windows 8.1 and start all over again.

It's going to be a long day.

If I hadn't messed up my original Windows 8 install at least I could have skipped this part.
However it's probably good that I'm starting with a clean Windows install with no junk.

As long as you have that same system configurations, you will not need a license key to install cleanly.

So you're saying that those key founder apps are not genuine and if my system crashes I can just do a clean install of Windows 10 on the same device I had it registered and it won't ask me for a key? Btw I'm not an Insider.

I have no experience with Key Finders or how well they work. The ones I have seen are finding the key I would expect.

Microsoft says if you have a Legal Windows 10 install and lose your hard drive, you can do a clean install and be activated without needing a key.

Something to consider. If you skip the key entry and continue the install, at some point you may be asked for a key. If the key you discover will activate the install, it will work after the install is complete as well as it would during the install. If you think you have the correct key, wait until the completed install asks for one. My system reactivated before I even signed back into the Microsoft Account.

I understand. I just googled my Windows 10 Pro key to find out it's a generic Windows 10 RTM key xD

I was suspicious at first about Windows giving away free software. It doesn't matter we already have licenced Windows, this is a new OS and it should be bought. Also, some are sayin' in case your system crashes you should install your previous OS first and then update again which is silly because after this year update isn't free.

Everyone is sayin' something different and I'm really confused.

Ok, I have been reading Microsoft Software Licence Terms and googled so I found out we don't need a product key to install it but we need to have the same hardware. What if my hard disk dies and I'm forced to buy a new one? Do I have to purchase the OS or is the OS connected to Microsoft account?

This answers my questions Windows 10: Will you lose your free upgrade if you reinstall?, OS is linked to the device, not to me. And that's why it's free.

Last edited:
Hi

As long as you have validated Windows 10 on your computer you can reinstall it.
I'm pretty sure that you can reactivate it if you change hardware.

I can't remember exactly where, but someplace I saw a button that said check activation or something like that.
I did it after putting in a new hard drive for Windows and it sent me a code to my Windows Account email, again.

When I put in the code it said Activated.

Once you have Windows 10 installed and activated you can reinstall it from a DVD or Flash Drive from scratch without having to upgrade again or enter a serial number.

I think everything it tied to your Windows account.

Mike

Hi

As long as you have validated Windows 10 on your computer you can reinstall it.
I'm pretty sure that you can reactivate it if you change hardware.

I can't remember exactly where, but someplace I saw a button that said check activation or something like that.
I did it after putting in a new hard drive for Windows and it sent me a code to my Windows Account email, again.

When I put in the code it said Activated.

Once you have Windows 10 installed and activated you can reinstall it from a DVD or Flash Drive from scratch without having to upgrade again or enter a serial number.

I think everything it tied to your Windows account.

Mike

Thank you for your answer Mike. I would assume this was the case. Do you know if you can update any other device with the same account or is the rule to have just one device and account connected? So you need to have another account for your smartphone?

And I wanted to ask one more thing. I have deleted my mail account which was used to register for the update. It was also linked to my Microsoft account but I changed the address for it. I never got a mail with check activation but my Windows is activated. Do you know if there is a way I can register again with new mail account or is it already activated within Microsoft account? Just to make sure.

Hi

I don't really know, but I would assume that you have to have a different account for each device.
Pretty sure it ties a computer configuration to the install verification..

Mike

Hi

I don't really know, but I would assume that you have to have a different account for each device.
Pretty sure it ties a computer configuration to the install verification..

Mike

Thank you, I hope my system won't crash anytime soon. For now I only need the OS for my laptop. I changed its HDD a year ago so it shouldn't make any trouble. Also, I'll make a CD with Media Creation Tool just in case.

Back