Windows 8 Windows Surface RT

davidhk129

No idea where to post this. My apology if this is the wrong forum.

I have been itching to buy a touch screen Windows operated tablet.
My roadblock is budget.

I have found this which kind of fits my budget.......
Microsoft Surface Windows RT 10.6" Tablet 64GB P5T-00002 (Mfg. Refurbished)
$217.76 Canadian + shipping.

“Original Box item, Open Box manufacture Refurbished. Box may show light signs of shipping wear, item is great. 64 GB , surface, windows RT, Office home and office 2013 RT, AC power adapter, wifi, bluetooth v.40 Item has been tested and works great, great cosmetic, purchased from major retailer. Actual photos of item. What you see in the photo is what you get. If it isnt there it will be noted.”
Brand:
Microsoft
Screen Size:
10.6"
Type:
Tablet
Operating System:
Microsoft Windows RT
Internet Connectivity:
Wi-Fi
Product Line:
Surface RT
Carrier:
Not Applicable
MPN:
P5T-00002
Storage Capacity:
64 GB
Color:
Black
Resolution:
1366 x 768

I understand the drawbacks of mfg. refurbished items. I am not asking advice on that subject.

I am seeking advice on.......
1.I don't even know what the heck is Windows RT. I google for it and I still don't have the foggiest. Is it an out-dated os ?
2. Is it upgradable to Win 8/8.1 or even to Win 9 down the road ?

I will be sing it just like another computer I have. Not for business or something like that.

Win RT is Windows for ARM processors as opposed to x86 processors. It can only run software that has been compiled to run on an ARM processor so it cannot run the majority of the Win software available. About the only source for compatible software is the Windows app store. I believe it can be upgraded to Win 8.1 RT.

The Surface RT is a 1st generation MS Surface tablet, MS started shipping the 3rd generation Surface tablets last month.

Microsoft Windows RT
The rt stands for "run time"... it is just windows without all the crap running in the background for better btty life.

Windows 9 isn't out yet so your guess is as good as mine.

Be careful with Windows tablets that have only 32GB of storage. With the OS and a recovery partition on there, it often leaves only about 12GB of free space. Even then, these tablets can be quite handy and most have a microSD card slot so that you can add additional storage.

The fact that these also come with MS Office 2013 Home & Student (not a trial, full version) makes them a great value.

I had a 64GB Dell Venue 8 Pro and really liked it but gave it to my son when I upgraded to a MS Surface Pro 3.

strollin, you are correct. The micro SD card is the additional storage. I use a 64GB model and have plenty of space for my user folders and for images. And I have about 12GB left on the disk which is ample considering that I already installed all the programs I need.

The Asus Transformer also comes as a 64GB model for appr. $45 more.

Windows RT is out.

I think I have found my "poor-man " win 8 tablet......
From eBay. ( Relax. I have dealt with eBay sellers many times.)
The seller is top-rated.

Acer Iconia W3-810-1666 32GB 8.1" tablet with Microsoft Office Home & Student
New.
$149.99 Cdn + shipping is FREE ( seller is in Canada too ).

Add a 32GB microsd card and I should be good to go.
The only thing I am not sure of is whether the MS Office is trial or full version.
( edit : found out it is a full version but needs to be activated ).

Item specifics
Condition:
New: A brand-new, unused, unopened, undamaged item in its original packaging (where packaging is applicable). Packaging should be the same as what is found in a retail store, unless the item is handmade or was packaged by the manufacturer in non-retail packaging, such as an unprinted box or plastic bag. See the seller's listing for full details.
Features
  • 8.1" 32GB tablet with 10-point 1280x800 touchscreen
  • Intel Atom dual-core processor Z2760 (1.5GHz or 1.8GHz with Intel Burst technology)
  • 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi connectivity
  • Windows 8 operating system
  • microSD slot for expanded storage

Last edited:
8.1" is a handy size but small. There does not seem to be a keyboard. You may have to get a Bluetooth Keyboard. The dual core Atom is not the swiftest. I prefer the quad. Check how long one battery charge lasts. If it is only 4 or 5 hours, that can be a real pain.

Of course a quad is desirable.
It is the matter of dollars and cents. The cheapest one, also an Acer, is for $219 + shipping.

I also found an Acer 8.1" 64GB Dual core, Win 8 32-bit, for $174 + shipping.
If I can force myself to pay $40 more, this would be my selection.

Last edited:
8.1" is a handy size but small. There does not seem to be a keyboard. You may have to get a Bluetooth Keyboard. The dual core Atom is not the swiftest. I prefer the quad. Check how long one battery charge lasts. If it is only 4 or 5 hours, that can be a real pain.
That's the number one complaint I had with my Dell Venue 8 Pro, I'm in my 60's and even with glasses it could be trying to read some of the text on the 8" screen. If davidhk129 is younger with good eyes, it may not be an issue for him.

Hmm, that devce must have a very bad screen resolution. I am 76 and have only 40% eyesight, but I can figure things out - on my Nexus 7 or 10" Transformer (with reading glasses). But I still prefer my 22" screen on the desktop.

Back