Windows 10 Windows Tech Preview

davehc

Essential Member
Premium Supporter
I am still preferring the Modern start menu in Windows 10. However, I have run into a bug.
Anyone know how to pin a program from "All Apps" to the modern start?

Can you clarify Dave, just to be sure we're understanding you correctly.
Without using the word 'modern', could you just reference the "Start Screen" or the "Start Menu" for clarification
And then maybe under which "All Apps" Start Menu All Apps, or Start Screen All Apps.
And then maybe the specific app that you reference as a possible "bug". I've been dragging and dropping apps pinning folders and dragging them into the "Start List" on the "Start Menu" without issue.

If I understand your question correctly, it's simply a matter of drag a program from the All apps list on the left to the right hand side of the new Start menu and drop it in place. Is that what you're asking about?

No. Thanks guys, for input.
Sorry for the misunderstanding.
History:
In August 2012, an internal memorandum was been sent out to developers and OEM manufacturers, including, of course, and Microsoft employee,s announcing the decision to "discontinue the use" of the term "Metro" because of "discussions with an important European partner", and that they were "working on a replacement term. The replacement term was "modern" but was not widely adopted. Anyway, enough of that BS!

I am referring to the Metro screen, strollin. During the life of Windows 8, as Trouble knows,I have fully customised and use the Metro as my start menu. No a subject in this thread, but I find it much more convenient than a text menu, particularly on my touchscreen.
In Windows 8, if you have a program in the "All Programs " Window, which you wish to pin to the taskbar or to the Metro start, you right click it and you are offered those options. Right clicking in Windows X, does nothing.
So my question remains. Is there a new way to pin to Metro?
I emphasise. This has nothing at all to do with the new Windows 10 start menu.

I am still preferring the Modern start menu in Windows 10. However, I have run into a bug.
Anyone know how to pin a program from "All Apps" to the modern start?

Maybe I am missing something you said.

To me, using Win 10 Tech Preview in VMware Player, right click at an app will give me option to pin to Start.

Image 1.png

Image 2.png

From the "Apps" list below the Start Screen on my Windows 10 systems, right-clicking on an icon gives the options to pin to Start or Pin to Taskbar.

Hm. OK I'll try a reinstall:

Later. Glad I posted for feedback. I don't know what happened on the first install. All OK now.

Many thanks.

Interesting article over at PC World.com which also has a few tips on how to use Windows 10. I especially like the ending to the article. A nice choice of words (IMO):

I haven’t run into any showstopping bugs. I’ve loaded a few apps, connected an Xbox controller and played a game I downloaded from Steam. And, hey, Netflix works.

As Microsoft has said previously, this is a “build” of Windows 10. Microsoft still has nine months or so until the final release. Hopefully this gives you a sense of what works in Windows 10, and how to make it better. What’s next is up to you—explore Windows 10, discover how it works, and if you find some aspect you dislike, let Microsoft know. There’s still time to make Windows 10 what you want.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2690...r-first-30-minutes-with-the-tech-preview.html

Back