Windows 7 Windows telling me my wireless network security key is invalid without checking

Catatonic

Hi folks, I am running Win 7 on my desktop and Vista Home Premium on my laptop, and am unable to connect to the wireless network at all on my Win 7 desktop. I can see the wireless network, but when I attempt to connect I am told that my security key is invalid instantly (it doesn't attempt to connect at all, just instantly says invalid security key). I have no trouble connecting on my Vista laptop, and when I was running Vista on this same desktop previously I had no trouble connecting.

Network security setting is WPA Personal, TKIP.

The only thing I can think of is that maybe Win7 wants a security key and I am entering a passphrase. Is there a difference between these two things? Any help is much appreciated!

I'm having the same problem.

This is on a laptop which is multibooting Windows XP/Vista/Seven and Slax linux. My WiFi is a ralink 2880.
All other systems connect fine to the router (Linksys WRT160N V2).

The security is set to WPA2-AES, but seven doesn't even try to confirm the key. When I put in a 10 digit hex key , it does try to connect but obviously that doesn't work.

I've tried switching to different security types (WEP/WPA) to no avail. Only when I completely turn off al security does it connect.

One strange thing I noticed is that seven recognizes the network as 802.11g where it should be n. It does recognise others as n though...

Any ideas? I can't properly use it untill the wifi kicks in.

thanks

Fyre

Just wanted to let you guys know I was able to fix it.

I installed an older driver for my ralink and that seems to have done the trick.

So anyone with a similar problem...I suggest you go driver hunting :)

Back