Windows 7 Windows update problem unsolved

1. Well! The sfcdetails.txt IS on my desktop. I didn't notice [until your reply] that it had appeared there. I will attach it for your perusal.
2. I don't know what to do to address the WinHTTP errors. I've done everything that I think you suggested, and some things appear not to work.
3. I'm willing to do a repair install, if I knew how. I tried to do some repair or install some time ago, but I immediately got the window that said I had to reboot before it would download any updates or repairs. Then, of course, it didn't when I tried again. At least, that's what I recall. Tell me what to do to and I'll try it. Got nothing to lose.

Again, thank you for your efforts. Maybe I'll just have to hire my computer guru in Florida when we return. [I'm in Indiana now, visiting friends.]

Attachments

• sfcdetails.txt
    38.9 KB · Views: 326
The text file shows the only file causing the error in SFC is tcpmon.ini. It is a file associated with network printer ports and does not appear to be related. When I got my Dell Laptop, it had Vista on it and failed with the same type of file. The Dell version had been altered and had some extraneous lines in it so it would not show correctly.

So I suppose I have nothing really to add. It still appears the WinHTTP is involved, but not sure and I have no suggestions on how to repair it if it is. There some netsh commands that deal with it but they mostly concern proxy situations. I will look tomorrow for those commands and other network type commands that might clear out your DNS cache and possibly some other things. If I find something, I will post back.

A repair install, if you use the SP1 Windows 7 DVD should work, but I have no experience with OEM type installs.

I have been unable to find any commands for WinHTTP that make any sense as far as your situation.

The reboot required message is still there, which might be part of the problem. You might try just uninstalling some of the last updates that were installed on the "Installed Updates" listing. Maybe one of them is requiring a reboot and for some reason it has been unable to do so.

As far as doing a repair install on your system, you may be able to use the Windows 7 DVD with SP1 included. Start it from within Windows and do an upgrade install. It will need to be reactivated, which is where I am unable to suggest how to handle that. I do not know if your Dell system has a way to restore your system while keeping the user data, it will normally just restore a system back to factory specs.

Edit: I also just tried something on my system which would have no effect for me but might help you. In the Windows\winsxs folder there is a file named reboot.xml. I double clicked it to run and got an IE window with warnings about running Active X scripts. I allowed it to run, and the purpose of the script is to remove the required reboot. I was hoping it would remove the Windows Update request for a reboot and allow your system to resume normal operations. I am in unknown territory here, so use your best judgement in trying this.

Last edited:
Thanks again for your suggestions. I am sure i do not have the SP1 Windows 7 DVD, but I do have original disks supplied with the Dell when I bought it, plus all manner of backup disks I made of the operating system soon after I got the laptop.. But they are all in Florida, and I'm in Indiana until the middle of July. I have tried "System Restore," [Window's version of "Go-back"] but every time I tried that it failed to complete. I think your suggestion of deleting the last few updates is a good one. I will try that. If you find anything else, please let me know. I really appreciate your help. My plans are

1. Remove the last few updates (back on Feb 14, when things began to go squirrely, interestingly)
2. Try "Fix-It" again
3. Try to restore to a previous date again
4. Look for original disks when I return in July.
5. Explore back-ups I made
6. If necessary, buy the SP1 Windows 7 DVD
7. Await other ideas from you.

No, I didn't see your edit about ther reboot.xml file. I may pass that one. I'm nervous about it.
I DID delete the most recent update listed on "Installed Updates," [other then the Adobe update that occurred just fine after all of this problem started.] I uninstalled the most recent update dated Feb 14. I uninstalled it [KB2789642]. Amazingly, when I went to remove the next one, 19 updates that WERE dated Feb. 14 have now shown up as May 31, TODAY. The only updates listed for Feb. 14 are updates relating to Office. [See latest attachment]. I restarted, the and did Fix-It again. I got the same results as before, "Repair Windows Update Components-Fixed." But Updates still says I "Never" updated anything, even though that clearly is not the case. I then did a complete shutown, and no changes. Does this help any?

Attachments

• Installed updates-after removing last update.doc
    346.5 KB · Views: 257
I don't remember, but if you have an OEM system, I have no experience with how it will behave. But if you have your own install of a retail version, you can start the install while running Windows 7 and start the install from there. Do not boot to the DVD.

Then do a custom install over you current version and it will redo the OS. It is called a Repair Install, and you can look it up on the net and make sure you know how it works. It is supposed to maintain your data and just replace the basic install.

If you do not feel comfortable, then please do not take such an action. Things can always go wrong...

The last attachment really doesn't tell me anything except you have some .Net 4 updates from May 5, 2013, so the basic client profile updates seem to be working.

Again, I just do not know what to tell you. I still feel you have having some type of connection problem with the Windows Update server site. If you want, attach the WindowUpdate.log again and I will see if anything has changed since you uninstalled the updates.

You might try download some updates manually and trying to install. I have not suggested this because I do not know where you stand on which ones you are missing. But if you do not have KB2670838 you might try it since it was delivered for me on Feb 27. Use IE and go to the Microsoft Catalog and download the update. It will want to install an activeX utility for the site to function.

Microsoft Update Catalog

If you already have that KB, the next one is KB2791765 and both are Updates for Windows.

Thanks for your help. I looked up Repair Install Windows 7 and found a really encouraging article. I THINK I have a disk back in Florida (our home) that is the OEM Windows 7 install disk. If not, I have a number of repair disks I made shortly after getting the laptop, and one of them might help. So I'm going to just sit tight until next month, when we return home, and see what I actually have available. Again, thanks for all your help. I will let you know what happens. Regards. Ed.

Hello, Saltgrass. I have returned hjome [Florida] and culled my various disks. I have four:
1. "Reinstallation DVD Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit." I hesitate to use this; looks to me like it's for reinstalling all of Windows 7, and I'm uncomortable starting that process just to fix "update."
2. "Drivers and Utilities" "Contents: Device drivers and Diagnostics and Utilities." I looked at the files on this and they sure don't look like they're what I need.
3 & 4. "Full Windows Back-up" These two were made using Dell's backup on 7/24/2012, and again, nothing jumps out at me as being "Update" material.
Suggestions?

Because the system is OEM and I do not know how those function, if you do not want to do a "Restore to Factory Settings", I would make a backup image of the system, maybe even get a new hard drive, and restore the image to that. Then you could always go back where you started.

Once you have protection, you could try loading the Downloaded Install DVD and start a Repair Install from within Windows and do an Update install. That should refresh you system, but keep your personal files and programs intact.

You could always call Dell, or go to one of their community sites and ask someone that has actual experience with those systems.

I just don't have anything else I can recommend... Let us know what you decide..

I decided to try a "Restore to Factory Settings," thinking perhaps that option was within Windows. What I was directed to was "System Restore," which restores the computer [as you well know] to an earlier point in time. I've tried this before, and it never finished the operation for some reason. But when I launched the "System restore," i was given a choice of system restore points, and was suprised to find that there are a slew of them, dating from June 5 to the present, all because apparently the Windows did a critical update. It always sets a system restore point before it does an update. [See "System Restore" attached for about half of the system restore points.] This makes me think that Windows is updating itself, but the left electron doesn't know the right electron is doing it, so it keeps telling me to reboot to get updates--which it already has. It's just not recording the updates properly. My first thought is to ignore the perpetual warning that I need to get updates. Maybe it's setting system restore points, getting updates, and just doesn't know it. After all, the laptop is running well, and I hate to use a shotgun to rid myself of a mosquito.

Attachments

• System Restore.doc
    205 KB · Views: 254
Thanks. I'm going to run the video on my iPad, and stop it at each step, and thry the ideas suggested...but not tonight. I'll let you know what happens. Thanks again for continuing to come up with ideas. I think I am not alone with this problem. One would think MS would have come up with a way to reinstall just Windows update if so many people have this problem.

I though the video looked promising. So I tried Plan I, cleaning the Windows Update Cache. I did all of the steps successfully, but it didn't help. I skipped Plan II because I really didn't know what to look for. I did perform Plan III, trouble shooting, "Fix Problems with Windows Update," and the window that came up at the end said "fixed," but I still have "Windows could not check for updates automatically" in my Action Center. [Yes, I rebooted between every step.] Plan IV concerns "Back Files," and I have no idea what that is, so I skipped it. Plan V was to download the Windows Club "Fix WU V1.0," but every time downloaded that from a different source I got all manner of tool bars, add-ons, Zip7, a totally new search engine, and other stuff I didn't want. I even tried Googling "Fix WU V1.0" and I get the same results, add-ons I don't desire and then have to delete.....but I never got "Fix WU V1.0" by Ramesh Kumar by itself.

Saltgrass, I tried! I'm ready to give up.

Back