Windows 7 Windows Update wakes PC,

Does it still do that. Used to happen to me all the time on my laptop in Vista. Now I just have it set to never check for updates.

Link Removed due to 404 Error

Well, my Dell does wake up most nights but my Toshiba laptop doesn't, both W7 RC. Don't know if WU is the reason for the wakeup but the event log on the Dell shows the wakeup time coincides exactly with the default daily update time of 3:00am.

I've turned off every possible place I can regarding wakeup, LAN, USB. etc. The only other info is that the wakeup may have started when I installed an MS Wireless Office kb and mouse. A fresh install of RC did not change things. Rather than disable updates I've set it for a time when the PC will be on anyway.

Has it always done this on previuous OS's? Check your BIOS power management settings, there might be something in there.
However the 3am points to Windows Update, but I think its ment to wake up your laptop. Does it still do it after you turn it off? As for your mouse and keyboard, try this,

Do the same for your keyboard. Another thing you can try is this,

I take it all your drivers are upto date and working in 7?

Nice Post loathe.....

But who's the burglar breaking and entering at 3:00AM to move the mouse and keyboard:razz:

You been watching too many horror movies lately?;)

Thanks, loathe, the Dell didn't wake up under XP and everything else has been tried. I need to keep the power profile wake timers on to allow scheduled TV recording to take place. I will check the ACPI-related drivers manually in case there is an update.

Changing the time on windows update stopped the late-night wake-up.

I would expect windows update to be present in the task scheduler but I can't ID it. That's where I see a setting on each entry to allow the PC to be woken up or otherwise. Having said that, no one else seems to be having this issue, nor does my laptop do it so it's a bit of a mystery.

Damn PC is still waking up by itself. Question: the Dell's document, pictures, etc, are shared on the homegroup. When I start up my laptop which is on the homegroup would that wake up the Dell based on the shares?

I'll take a guess....

Yes, due to the fact the Windows Media Player Network Sharing service is enabled.

Anyone else?

Thanks, tried that last night - didn't help. However, after it woke up again this morning and I made further detailed inspection of the event logs and task scheduler I think I've found the culprit. The task mcupdate is set to "wake the PC" at 9:11 am, just when I'm seeing other logged events related to the PC waking up. The only other task in the Media Center list that wakes the PC is the one for starting scheduled recordings - which obviously I want. I'll see what happens tomorrow but the task settings are found per the attached image.

NICE going,

After I posted I thought about the event logs, but had to go out.

I hope that solves your problem, unless you need it running for recording purposes..:)

OK, that seems to have cracked it. The actual full name of the offending task is mcupdate_scheduled and the description is "Check for Media Center updates."

The task is also present on my laptop with the same default "Wake the PC" settings but it does not exhibit the wake problem presumably because I don't have Media Center configured.

Back