Windows Vista Windows Vista Enterprise to Windows 7

DWP

Dell D620 with Laptop Windows Vista Enterprise installed purchased from Daughter at the end of her Medical School program.

Is there any work around to allow me to install Window 7 Professional upgrade.

Laptop with
Windows Vista Enterprise installed is virtually usable using too many resources to get any utility out of it.

Are you wanting to do an in-place upgrade or wondering if an Upgrade version of Windows 7 will allow for a clean install.

In-place upgrade will only go to Windows 7 Enterprise. But the prior OS should qualify to use Windows 7 Pro in a clean install mode-you may want to call Microsoft to confirm.

Will you be using the same bit version, 32 or 64 bits?

Now Install on the Dell D620 is Windows Vista Interprise 32 bit.

Own a Windows 7 Professional (Upgrade Version) and would like to replace the Windows Vista Enterprise with the Windows 7 Professiional.

You should be able to boot to the DVD and select Custom Install and get your Pro version installed using Vista as the old OS.

If the Vista Enterprise edition is some type of OEM software, I cannot speak to that..so asking Microsoft, unless someone here knows, would be best.

In theory that does not work. You can only upgrade with the same edition (Enterprise in this case). But you can try a clean install with the professional upgrade disk (I assume you have a product key for it that was not yet used). Maybe it accepts it.

If nothing else, I would reinstall Vista. It probably got slow over time and a clean install (e.g. from the recovery partition) will make it perfect. Vista is a good system.

Vista is actually a better OS than many gives it credit for. Now, before everyone goes for my throat, I had Vista Ultimate SP2 (through TechNet). Installed it on my desktop, it ran as good as than Windows 7. It was a resource hog, but my PC isn't exactly filled with plenty of ponies under the hood. Windows 8 CP is fixing that.

I installed it in VBox on my notebook, gave it 3GB RAM, used MSE 4 for protection, it ran quite well. So I would say that a lot of the performance hit was due to underpowered computers that it may have been shipped on, as well as heavy AV/IS solutions like Norton was at that time. No wonder so many users reverted back to XP Pro.

My sister had such a computer, a low spec CoreDuo, with 2GB RAM, and Vista 64 bit installed. I increased the RAM to it's max, 4GB, it ran better. Next, I removed Norton IS from her PC (they told her it was the best & she believed it), and installed MSE 2.0. There was an improvement, but not as much as I'd thought.

I bought & installed a OEM copy of Win 7 Pro, it was slightly better, but not worth the $119 that it cost. Only when it was taken to the shop, it was fixed. The man at the computer shop installed a newer CoreDuo (used) for a total of $50. Then it ran fine. Any OS has to have enough power under the hood, or it's going to run slow.

Cat

Back