Windows 7 Windows7 Ultimate keeps freezing, I'm nearing the end of my tether.

DanD

I really hope someone can help me and any constructive advice will be very much appreciated (and heeded). My laptop crashes four or five times a day and it's driving me nuts. It never crashes when I'm using it but if I leave it for a period of time ranging from 2mins to 3hrs then it freezes. The screen will come up with my desktop picture and the mouse icon moves at first but then nothing. Occasionally I'm able to to get out of it using the task manager but that takes ages to work and very often doesn't.

It happens so frequently that I'm having to disconnect the battery all the time. It happens when I have stuff downloading and when I'm not, I've used Acronis start up manager to restore my windows:p but the euphoria of crash free windows only lasted till the afternoon:(.
Apologies for the length of the thread and if anyone has endured the entirety of it I'd appreciate your help. Thanks in advance, DanD

I really hope someone can help me and any constructive advice will be very much appreciated (and heeded). My laptop crashes four or five times a day and it's driving me nuts. It never crashes when I'm using it but if I leave it for a period of time ranging from 2mins to 3hrs then it freezes. The screen will come up with my desktop picture and the mouse icon moves at first but then nothing. Occasionally I'm able to to get out of it using the task manager but that takes ages to work and very often doesn't.

It happens so frequently that I'm having to disconnect the battery all the time. It happens when I have stuff downloading and when I'm not, I've used Acronis start up manager to restore my windows:p but the euphoria of crash free windows only lasted till the afternoon:(.
Apologies for the length of the thread and if anyone has endured the entirety of it I'd appreciate your help. Thanks in advance, DanD

I would be taking a look in Performance information and tools\advanced for any clues and looking through event viewer matching any errors to the timestamp on the freeze ?

you can setup event viewer to start a log too ?

could this be a task starting up only when idle ?

are your graphics drivers installed and working , have you tested your WEI ?

Thanks

Firstly, thankyou for the quick response to my query. After reading some suggestions to other peoples problems I thought it would be a good idea to spend last night updating my drivers. As yet no freezes and my hopes are well and truly up but I haven't left my comp' idle very much today so I'm not counting my chickens just yet.

I'll start looking at setting up an event viewer log and testing my WEI (though I'm not sure what that is at the mo but will find out). Once again thanks for the advice and I'll be back in touch if the problem persists.

If it only seems to happen when idle, you might look at the power settings and extend some of those times for screensaver or sleep or whatever. Also, laptops might behave differently whether plugged in or not, so keep track of that.

External power adapters may also have more control that you might think. They have some built in logic also.

I thought the drivers had fixed it but...............

Thankyou for the advice but yes I've tried turning off all sleep and standby settings

I thought the drivers had fixed it but...............

Thankyou for the advice Saltgrass but yes I've tried extending all sleep and standby settingsbut nothing seems to work, also it can happen after just being idle for a couple of mins. In response to ickymay, I've now tested my WEI and it seems fine and my base score is 3.4 because the lowest score is my graphics card at 3.4. I've also got an event log from the last time it crashed which seems to blaming several different programmes. I'll post the log in the hope that someone can make more sense of it than I can.

Error 16/02/2010 16:26:10 SideBySide 80 None
Activation context generation failed for "c:\program files (x86)\Nero\nero toolkit\nero discspeed\DiscSpeed.exe".Error in manifest or policy file "" on line . A component version required by the application conflicts with another component version already active. Conflicting components are:. Component 1: C:\Windows\WinSxS\manifests\amd64_microsoft.windows.common-controls_6595b64144ccf1df_6.0.7600.16385_none_fa645303170382f6.manifest. Component 2: C:\Windows\WinSxS\manifests\x86_microsoft.windows.common-controls_6595b64144ccf1df_6.0.7600.16385_none_421189da2b7fabfc.manifest.

Error 16/02/2010 15:29:11 Application Error 1000 (100)
Faulting application name: explorer.exe, version: 6.1.7600.16450, time stamp: 0x4aebab8d
Faulting module name: SHLWAPI.dll, version: 6.1.7600.16385, time stamp: 0x4a5be059
Exception code: 0xc000041d
Fault offset: 0x0000000000014833
Faulting process id: 0x948
Faulting application start time: 0x01caaf1c8590886c
Faulting application path: C:\Windows\explorer.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\system32\SHLWAPI.dll
Report Id: 07702c6a-1b10-11df-a833-0023ae259b24

Error 16/02/2010 15:16:31 Application Error 1000 (100)
Faulting application name: mmc.exe, version: 6.1.7600.16385, time stamp: 0x4a5bc808
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 6.1.7600.16385, time stamp: 0x4a5be02b
Exception code: 0xc0000374
Fault offset: 0x00000000000c6cd2
Faulting process id: 0xff8
Faulting application start time: 0x01caaf1a17f098d2
Faulting application path: C:\Windows\system32\mmc.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
Report Id: 428b4dfa-1b0e-11df-a833-0023ae259b24

Are you running Nero Diskspeed? Do you have the latest versions and the latest updates?

It looks like it is saying you are having a conflict between x86 and x64 versions of a file or utility. Maybe a 32 bit driver is trying to control something a x64 driver is already using.

Thanks, yes I think I have the latest version of nero (nero8) but I shall check for updates now:p.

Nero says some components won't work in x64. It seems Disk Speed could be one of those. Maybe it is trying to contol the DVD and having problems with the x64 drivers.

I am just guessing, maybe someone else will be able to read your log more accurately.

Thankyou I've now uninstalled nero and I don't need it immediately so I'm going to wait before re-installing it and see if that's what been causing it.

If nothing else, you will be able to tell if the log changes and no longer mentions the Nero utility.

Of course, Nero may take special uninstalling to get rid of. There used to be a special utility for that, but it has been some time since I have used Nero.

A confession

I feel I should apologise to Saltgrass as I think s/he diagnosed it earlier, I thought I had turned off the display shut down setting already but I'd only extended it. When I checked yesterday I realised this and so turned it off. I think un-installing nero will have helped to make her run better but I think the problem occured when my monitor came back on from idle.

Although turning this setting off has stopped the freeze problem:razz: I cant help but feel that I have swept the problem under the carpet instead of actually fixing. Please don't mis-understand me, I much prefer it there. So thanks for all your help, my comp' hasn't froze for over 24 hours :razz:.

WINDOWS 7 FREEZE
I had the same problem. It was caused by my NVidia graphics card. The card udate provided by MS causes the screen to freeze and blur.

There are two ways round it:- Disable your display card in the DEVICES area. (However, his results in removing the sleep and hibernate functionality plus screensavers are compormised.

The second was it to delete all drivers for the card via the DEVICES area and downmload and install the new Windows 7 pdate from the nearest NVIDIA site. - NVidia

Works for my

Back
Top Bottom