Windows 7 Winload.exe problem no cd drive

kratosX7

Today I wanted to return my notebook to the factory settings using Dell Datasafe but after the reboot I got this winload.exe error. Because of this I cant recover my notebook.
How can I fix this?

Thanks!
Kratos

Hello and welcome to the Windows7forums,

Do you have an actual purchased copy of Windows 7?

or does it reside on a a recovery partition on your hard drive?

Did you make DVD backups when you first received the computer.

Is the computer under warranty?

Thank you!
Yes I have an actual copy of windows 7 but I don't have it it's at home and yes I have 1 year warranty but I thought maybe I can do something or download something so the problem will be fixed?

Yours,
Kratos

I don't know what Dell DataSafe is, but my laptop came with the recovery partiton. You can use an F key during boot to get to the recovery utility. I do not remember which F key, maybe F8. This will put your machine back to the factory install, if you have this system.

Check your owner's manual or the Dell Site.

Hello Kratos,

I would make one toll-free phone call to tech support. Maybe it's something they've run across in the past.

When you realize the person doesn't know how to operate a computer, say Thank you and hang up.

Then come here for a real solution.

Was Windows 7 pre-installed on the PC?

Maybe a good cleaning of the DVD with a very soft cloth would help.

Feel free to post back.

Thanks for the replies. Yes it was preinstalled. It came with a CD but that aint very useful cuz I have no CD Drive.

Dell Datasafe is a recovery program that let me recover my laptop back to the factory settings.

I've used it once and it worked fine and now I want to use it again but I can't cuz of winload.exe

Delldatasafe is the only recovery I have (At least what I am aware of)

Is there ANYTHING I can download to fix this problem? I need something like a Boot Fix.

Last edited:
Could you tell me what problems you are having that make you want to restore the hard drive again?

Well one of them is that when I start up my computer it tells me that it needs to check the hard drive, I can cancel it within 9 seconds by pressing any button but if I don't it just does nothing. No checking at all. I just want a computer without errors :p

Do I need to typ this in at run->cmd? Cuz when I typ it in there I get access denied. What to do?

I dont have any backup. I dont need a backup btw :p

EDIT: Ok i got chkdsk /r /f but he can't run the proces cuz it is already in use and ask me if it I want it to restart the computer and check it but when I restart my computer and checks the hard disk it goes into tilt and does nothing...

Last edited:
If chkdsk isn't working it's the problem then. Your system files may be corrupted, you can check them with sfc /scannow. Have you tried fixing the winload.exe error with these commands typed in the commands prompt window:

bootrec.exe /fixmbr
bootrec.exe /fixboot

I did run scannow and it told me some files were damaged and recovered but it didnt fixed the winload.exe error. When I try bootrec.exe in cmd it says it doesn't recognize it as a file.

Is there a solution if I have a cd drive put it in and run it via another computer using my internal network?

But can I just run it from my computer? Since I dont have a cd drive and need to use one from my other computer using my network

Back