Windows Vista Wireless network cards. What works?

Stanomatic

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello,

My Netgear WPN311 wireless card will not work with vista. I tried a manual install with no joy. So instead of hammering a round peg through a square whole which wireless cards are working for February Vista? I will buy the one that works.

Stan

Its probably a matter of drivers. Give it time. Thanks for joining the site

- Mike

Thanks for the reply. I am sure someone has a wireless network card that works. Just curious to know what brand.

Stan

It's not so much a matter of time is it is with being a beta. Once windows vista is fully released, im sure there will be a number of wifi cards supported. Im not a huge fan of wireless. if you have the option, get a cat5 cable and go with it. Wifi is a big hassle. To many variables come with it. You have to think about radio waves, niose from power lines and high EMF spikes in the air. Most of the time, unless you are sitting within 5 feet of the device and no metal objects are between you and it, you will probably have problems. Mike, back me up on this. I always stress on ablenet WIFI sucks :p

Don't stress it. Once vista is release im sure the card will be supported.

josh_rain

I have an Intel PRO/Wireless 2915 Internal (802.11a/b/g 54Mbps) built in with my laptop and I have confirmed that it does/will work with Windows Vista.

I'd put it this way, I wouldn't run a server off a wireless connection, but for my needs, wireless suits me fine. I don't see what the big issue is. I have my main computer using a wired connection, but my laptop uses built-in wifi. Now if you are using an older wifi card you will notice a huge performance difference as far as reception. Someone I know used to experience problems all the time because they had an older laptop, and the signal would always drop.

Wifi is very convenient for alot of things. I'm sure someone has got it working on Vista. As I said, I have seen it working on integrated wireless for notebooks. Some of the external cards will just need driver support

josh_rain said:
You have to think about radio waves, niose from power lines and high EMF spikes in the air. Most of the time, unless you are sitting within 5 feet of the device and no metal objects are between you and it, you will probably have problems.

so youve got a cellphone tower on the roof or something? :D im on wireless without a problem

.... Wireless is great when you within a good distance of the wifi router/signal. But with my experience and working as a field tech, wifi is more of a hassle than its worth. Cable is much more reliable and you get better speeds.

.... Wireless is great when you within a good distance of the wifi router/signal. But with my experience and working as a field tech, wifi is more of a hassle than its worth. Cable is much more reliable and you get better speeds.

my wireless connection will get the same speeds are wired so i dunno were your comming from ...

my wireless connection will get the same speeds as wired

I agree. Every computer in my house is now wireless and I have NO issues at all. Actually I haven't had any issues with any house I've lived in. Now I live very near an Air Force Base(2 in fact) with planes flying all around, I also have a 2.4GHz cordless phone, And a cell phone tower VERY near my house, and my microwave is always running:D , and have yet to have any interference problems. I could be out in my garage with my laptop which is a good 50 feet or so from where my router is in my basement and have no connectivity issues. BUT, to each his own.

But to answer the initial question: my internal wireless in my laptop is an Intel Pro2200 and works fine. Also I have a Linksys WUSB11 USB adapter that installs without a hitch. In XP I have to load drivers for the USB adapter but under Vista it loads it automatically. Also, in my older Gateway laptop I use a Motorola PCMCIA wireless card that Vista loads drivers for automatically as well. Hope that helps.:D

I had problems with my wifi card - i simply searched for drivers in C:/WINDOWS (my XP partition), and it found them.

With another device I had to search the whole of C: for relevent drivers.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello,

My Netgear WPN311 wireless card will not work with vista. I tried a manual install with no joy. So instead of hammering a round peg through a square whole which wireless cards are working for February Vista? I will buy the one that works.

Stan

I went through this as well and consulted my DSL provider. What worked for me was to enter the WEP key (26 digit Alphanumeric code) instead of the requested "pass phrase".

wireless and vista problems

Like all of you i too experienced wifi problems with vista, i bought a Dell D820 Latitude with an intel 3495 wireless card, Windows Vists 32bit Business plus a few more goodies. the wireless card always dropped the connection which showe to me there were some incompatibility issues going on, so i asked around and to my horror found I was not the only one and that the problem was not just with dell but all makes that had the same card . the issue has now been resolved by using the 4695agn intel card which was used with the Dell D830 to cure wireless drop. The root cause of the problem is that the Intel software is incompatible with Vista, however the drivers work but allow only Windows to control the wireless and not the Intel software as in Xp. So for all of you yes it is a software/driver issue which i beleive will be resolved when Vista SP1 appears unless individual wireless card manufacturers issue updates to work with vista.

So the answer to Stanomatics original question, nothing works on it except if you have an internal wireless nic in a laptop or down grade back to XP when it was working fine in the first place?

Now that's just down right annoying.

Back