Windows 7 Wireless Network Constantly "Identifying... (Network)" "No Internet acess"

I can certainly appreciate the frustration.
If you want to get the Wired Connection working, we can try that now because it may be an issue with speed and duplex, this has been cropping up a lot lately with certain Gigabit cards on Windows 7, with certain routers.
So if the card is connected with a cat 5 cable to the router then
type ncpa.cpl into the search box and hit enter
select then right click on the wired card and choose properties
Click the Configure Button
In the left column look for something called speed and duplex
Select it and on the right side select the drop down arrow and choose 100 half
OK your way back out of there and reboot.
See if that gets the wired connection up and running.

Disable the wireless adapter for now and focus on the wired adapter.
If with only the wired adapter enabled and speed and duplex set to 100 half you are still experiencing the constant identifying loop, try going into the properties of your wired card, click the configure button, look for the same physical address property that we discussed earlier and if it set to not present or whatever change the radio button and insert this value
001F16303BCC
which is the actual physical address of your adapter without the hyphens.
OK your way back out of there and reboot.
If you still have the same problem, then I would suggest going back to the router and removing any encryption settings you currently are using and running it open temporarily to see if that helps at all, if so then try adding back the encryption and experiment with different levels WEP, WPA, WPA2 (also you may want to experiment with PSK using AES instead of TKIP.
EDIT: Last paragraph is back to the wireless card again of course. So you will need to re-enable it again.

Last edited:
Okay, nothing has worked. Thank you very much for all your help but I need to sleep. I will check in again tomorrow after a good nights rest. If you can think of anything else please post it and I will give it a whirl tomorrow.

Ookay. Just an update to the above problem. I'm currently on the laptop in question. Dual booting with vista (2 HDD slots on a laptop makes for fun and games) and vista doesn't seem to have a problem with the network adaptor at all. Once drivers were installed everything worked a treat.

I am now going to do windows update and see what it reccomends and then ignore all of them. Is there a way to stop vista update messing about with networking at all?

Hope you are all well.

JMe

Ookay. Just an update to the above problem. I'm currently on the laptop in question. Dual booting with vista (2 HDD slots on a laptop makes for fun and games) and vista doesn't seem to have a problem with the network adaptor at all. Once drivers were installed everything worked a treat.

I am now going to do windows update and see what it reccomends and then ignore all of them. Is there a way to stop vista update messing about with networking at all?

Hope you are all well.

JMe

To Control Windows Update Device Driver Searching and Prompts by Using Control Panel

• Click Start, and then either click Control Panel, or point to Settings and then click Control Panel.
  • Either double-click System, or click System and Maintenance and then click System.
  • Click Advanced system settings and then click the Hardware tab.
  • Click Windows Update Driver Settings.
  • Choose an option:

• Check for drivers automatically
    • Ask me each time I connect a new device before checking for drivers
    • Never check for drivers when I connect a device
The third option, "Never check for drivers when I connect a device" would be my recommendation, since manually controlling your source for drivers and restricting that to the PC manufacturer's website, the Motherboard Manufacturer's Website, or the actual Device Manufacturer's Website, will most often provide the best results.
SOURCE: Device Manager, Hardware Wizards, and Resulting Internet Communication in Windows Vista

Okay, that is done now at least. Still can't work out why all networking has failed on Windows 7 but works fine with Vista. It must have been an update.
Although I did get this update come up which, needless to say I have hidden never, ever to be installed
"Realtek Semiconductor Corp. - Network - Realtek RTL8191SE Wireless LAN 802.11N PCI-E NIC"

A quick tip that may or may not help:

Open your Network & Sharing Center, and in the right hand pane click "Manage Wireless Networks"
Delete your current one (or whatever one you're having problems with) and then attempt to reconnect to that network.

It's always worth a try to run the troubleshooter as well, Which I was quite surprised to see is actually useful (to some extent) in Windows 7.

Welcome to the forum, both of you :)

Back