Windows 7 Wireless Network Connection Drops Upon Sleep Activation

wayno

I have a Home Theater PC (HTPC) that utilizes a Netgear WN11 USB wireless adapter to connect to a Netgear Rangemax WNR3500 Router. Upon HTPC system startup, I'm able to connect to the router and thus the internet. However, even though I have network connection setup as automatic, I have to manually connect to the network. Upon connection, everythong works fine until HTPC goes into sleep mode. Once that happens, I lose network connectivity and am unable to reconnect wothout restarting HTPC. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Open device manager, expand network adapters, right click problem adapter and choose properties. On the power management tab uncheck box that says "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power". Also open control panel, power options, change plan options, change advanced power settings. Expand Wireless adapter, expand Power Saving Mode change to Maximum Performance.
Hope this helps

Network Connection Dies When In Sleep Mode

Open device manager, expand network adapters, right click problem adapter and choose properties. On the power management tab uncheck box that says "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power". Also open control panel, power options, change plan options, change advanced power settings. Expand Wireless adapter, expand Power Saving Mode change to Maximum Performance.
Hope this helps

I followed the solution above and it did not solve the problem. My network connection is through a linksys USB dual frequency device. What should I try next? I am running Windows 7 Home Premium on an HP Desktop bought in February.

MLT

Each of your USB root hubs have a similar setting in device manager. Check the power management tab for them.
Also in Control Panel, power options, change plan setting, change advanced power setting, USB settings, USB selective suspend setting, set to disable.

Thanks Trouble,
I see 8 USB hubs in Device Manger. How do I know which one to not allwow to be turned off? I have four USB connectors on the back of my computer all in use for keyboard,mouse, ext. HD and the network adpaptor abnd two in front. I wanted to allow the keyboard,mouse and HD to be turned off but not the newtork adaptor.
Much Thanks
MLT

Back