Windows 7 WMP stopped being able to play back Encrypted WMV files

gamerk2

Title basically says it all: WMP on my machine decided to stop playing my collection of DRM protected WMV files. And since WMP is the only player that can play back these files, my video collection has become basically useless.

And yes, all the files were purchased legally. Figure I'd post that before someone asks.

Tried the usual reinstall of WMP via the "Add or Remove Optional Windows Components", which didn't fix the problem. Tired the Security Component Upgrade page (http://drmlicense.one.microsoft.com/Indivsite/en/indivit.asp), but the Upgrade button is disabled regardless of anything I try (Including the Admin account with UAC totally disabled).

This has happened on several occasions in the past, and usually, the first two steps will eventually work. But since the Upgrade button on the DRM page is disabled, I suspect I'm now in a state where I can't access any of my videos. And why this keeps happening is beyond me.

I've spent the past two and a half hours banging my head against my keyboard. Some help would be great.

but the Upgrade button is disabled regardless of anything I try (Including the Admin account with UAC totally disabled).
Not sure if this will help but you can try it.
First only using Internet Explorer go here http://drmlicense.one.microsoft.com/Indivsite/en/indivit.asp
If the upgrade button is grayed out as you've mentioned above the please bring up the menu bar by tapping the "Alt" key.
From the "Tools" menu select "Compatibility view settings" click the add button.
See if that helps to bring the upgrade button back.

Question: Could the botched KB3004394 update be the root cause of problems? Because that got installed right before I had WMP problems again.

I suppose that is possible, although I thought they issued a subsequent update which uninstalled that one.
If it is still present you should be able to uninstall it from Windows Updates in Control Panel.

Well, uninstalled that update, and now instead of outright crashing, it's complaining about the DRM component, so progress. Now if I can just get that bloody page to work; Active X problem maybe?

Yep, Active X problem. Had to disable every single Active X protection; someone should probably update the DRM site to address that.

Did the Security Component Upgrade, and everything works again. Have to run as Admin to play back the files but *shrug*. So I think KB3004394 was the root cause of the problem, and removing it and running through the process again seems to have fixed everything.

Back
Top Bottom