Windows XP xp always want to login as guest - help!

siberianItGuy

Hi, I am really perplexed by this problem i am having with my XP system.

After a reboot the system always presents a Guest logon dialog box even after I login as another user.
I got really pissed and disabled guest account. Now I get this stupid behavior shown in the attached pic.

xp-guest-account-error-mesg.png
The system refuses to present the last used account after reboot. Anybody have a clue what is happening?

Thanks for any help.

It seems to be telling you that your account has been disabled for some reason. To get back in as administrator and enable you to access accounts you may access the hidden administrator account as described here:

http://www.ehow.com/how_6538207_access-administrator-account-windows-xp.html
Wait, maybe I didn't state the problem very clearly.

I problem isn't that some account is disabled. I know that it is disabled because I disabled it on purpose.

The issue is that my XP system ALWAYS simply logs into the Guest account (before I disabled it). So really there are 2 issues:
1) Why, instead of presenting all available accounts after XP boots, does it simply log in as Guest.
2) After it auto-logs in as Guest, I log out and log in as Admin and create a password for Guest. Then reboot and STILL the XP simply logs in as Guest without a password challenge.

Seems like something is messed up or hard-coded somewhere.

OK I resolved part of the puzzle. The reason I am always ending up in Guest account is because of this registry setting.
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]
"DefaultUserName"="Guest"

However the other part of the mystery is still dogging me. I now log in without being prompted for a password, no matter which user account is the DefaultUserName. And I know every account is password protected. When Iog out, after initially getting in without a password (immediately after booting of XP), and try to re-login it asks me for the password.

Very puzzling behavior.

Back
Top Bottom