Windows 7 XP File Permissions

james.harding

Hello world!

I have been using XP and Windows 7 for a while now, and have been keeping my media all on my XP partition. Windows 7 added it's permission settings to the "My Documents" folder of my XP installation just fine, and was working without a hitch.

Yesterday, I tried to share the XP "My Docs" folder using Windows 7, and after that i could not access ANY of my XP files when in XP mode. I got the access denied error. I booted into XP safe mode, and restored full permissions to my "administrators" and my own personal account, also removing the windows 7 entries...

I thought that I had fixed the problems, but now when i try to run some tasks in XP as a system task, they do not start. The system permissions (which are by default on XP) are now gone. The only two are administrators and mine.

I think that I need to find a way to restore all default windows XP file permissions? Is this correct? How would I go about this?

Thanks guys!

Cheers,
James

bump

On XP I get a poopload of errors trying to install stuff...I just want to restore the FILE PERMISSIONS without having to reinstall XP if at all possible...I am willing to start a clean XP if necessary though...

Not sure if this will work on XP, it works fine on Vista and Windows7......

Copy and paste the info inside the quote into Notepad, choose Save As, then select All Files from the drop-down menu box and type in takeownership.reg. Save it to your desktop and double-click on it to merge it intro the registry. this will place Take Ownership of files and right-click context menu for complete directories.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\runas]
@="Take Ownership"
"NoWorkingDirectory"=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\runas\command]
@="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" /r /d y && icacls \"%1\" /grant administrators:F /t"
"IsolatedCommand"="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" /r /d y && icacls \"%1\" /grant administrators:F

You'll need to shutdown and restart your computer.

Back