Windows 7 XP (x86) to 7 (x64). Is this upgrade possible?

jus2sho

Sorry for asking this question. It's not really answered in the stickies. I'm looking to upgrade from my XP (x86) Pro to 7 (x64) Pro. Is this a possible upgrade? Do I have to perform a clean install? TIA

Sorry for asking this question. It's not really answered in the stickies. I'm looking to upgrade from my XP (x86) Pro to 7 (x64) Pro. Is this a possible upgrade? Do I have to perform a clean install? TIA

no you'll have to do a clean install, but make sure you check to see that your computer is in-fact compatible with the 64-bit version

When you say "clean install" you are referring to installing from scratch, right? I'm building a new pc, so all i have to do is install xp 32 and then install with 7 64 upgrade?

Drew,
Thank you for your reply. On the new computer that I am building, there is no OS at all. By your reply, do I still follow your steps or did you think I had XP already installed?

Technically possible (borrow a Vista disk) by upgrading to Vista and then upgrading Vista to Win7 (I have done that to verify it works). IMHO, you may end up with a flaky Windows 7. You're better off to do a clean install.

Can someone please explain to me what a clean install means? I'm learning how to build a new computer so bare with me. Does it mean I have to install my old XP(x86) first and then install the upgrade W7(x64) or do I just install W7(x64) from the start without installing XP(x86)? Thanks for the replies.

Can someone please explain to me what a clean install means? I'm learning how to build a new computer so bare with me. Does it mean I have to install my old XP(x86) first and then install the upgrade W7(x64) or do I just install W7(x64) from the start without installing XP(x86)? Thanks for the replies.

A clean install involves a clean hard drive or a clean partition. You insert the upgrade or full disk and install to the clean hard drive or clean partition (if Vista or XP resides in another partition). There are tricks to doing a clean install with an upgrade disk if you have that media. Just search the forum (or Google it) to find the necessary steps.

Thanks for the quick reply. So in my case, I have a fresh computer and hard drive, meaning I don't have to install XP(x86) first and I can just stick the W7(x64) disc in and install that?

Follow Drew's instructions,

Install W7 selecting "Custom"
Do not put the Key in and do not Activate
Now W7 is 'live'.
Insert the W7 disc, hit Run (running it from w/in Windows 7)
This is when & where your Key goes in
Let it run through & finish
Now Activate

You did a "clean" install (w/ the Upgrade disc), ran the Upgrade disc over an existing OS & activated w/ an Upgrade Key

I have done a clean install on three systems for customers using "Upgrade" Windows 7 discs. Like the one person told you, don't put in the key when asked during install and don't put in a password. It will finish installing and then you'll be at the Windows 7 desktop. Let it do updates it asked, until there are no more updates to install. Restart the computer and then go to the Start Orb, Computer, Right-click on Computer, go to Properties. You'll see the Windows Activation section below when you use the slider bar on the right. Click on Activate Windows and enter your key. Click Activate Now and you should be all good.

If not go here to see a couple of tricks this guy suggests at his website, Paul Thurrott's website. MS is aware of these methods and approve them.

Link Removed due to 404 Error

These do work! Good Luck!

Back