Windows 10 Yes, another WiFi issue

Bob Zornes

I have the same WiFi issue as many (installing Windows 10 no longer allows me to connect wirelessly). I can connect with an Ethernet cable. I have tried all of the "fixes" I've seen but nothing has worked. The worse news is that now I can't rollback to Windows 7 Pro because some files have been deleted.

I would have liked to let Microsoft why I wanted to rollback but that cant happen now.

Does anyone here have any ideas on how to get my wireless connections back? I'm not going to string 40 feet of Ethernet cable across three rooms to get it in my office. Right now, I have to use two different computers to make things work. It sucks.

We really need some information about your install... Things like your wireless adapter and what driver is being used? Does it show as being connected and a strong signal? Any messages related to the wireless.

Have you tried an alternate Wireless adapter? Have you reset/rebooted all the devices?

Basically, since all of mine see to work as advertised, I will have to assume it is related to your network adapter or system.

We really need some information about your install... Things like your wireless adapter and what driver is being used? Does it show as being connected and a strong signal? Any messages related to the wireless.

Have you tried an alternate Wireless adapter? Have you reset/rebooted all the devices?

Basically, since all of mine see to work as advertised, I will have to assume it is related to your network adapter or system.

The wireless adapter is a Netgear AC 1200 High Gain WiFi USB 802.11ac Dual Band 3.0. No, I haven't tried an alternate adapter. I don't have one as this is about the newest one on the market today and it has been working just fine up to this point. I did uninstall the former drivers, then update and do a clean install, including cold reboot.

Signal? No, there isn't one, that's the problem. It's not seeing anything, while at the same time the computer I am typing on now has a strong signal and it's sitting right next to the one that has Windows 10 Pro on it.

I've manually added the wireless networks a couple of times, sometimes I see them when I bring up WiFi setting on Win 10 and sometimes I don't.

Some folks have had problems with their USB 3.0 ports in Windows 10. Do other 3.0 devices seem to work OK? Have you tried it in a 2.0 port, if you have one.

Do you know how to check the IP addresses to see if one has been assigned correctly? Are you using it with an AC Router and if so have you separated the 2.4 and 5 Ghz radios?

Maybe knowing the Router you are using would help troubleshoot.

Some folks have had problems with their USB 3.0 ports in Windows 10. Do other 3.0 devices seem to work OK? Have you tried it in a 2.0 port, if you have one.

Do you know how to check the IP addresses to see if one has been assigned correctly? Are you using it with an AC Router and if so have you separated the 2.4 and 5 Ghz radios?

Maybe knowing the Router you are using would help troubleshoot.

Shoot, I thought I listed the router in the initial post. I must have done that elsewhere. It is a Netgear AC 1900 "Nighthawk" wireless router. It's about as new as it gets.

Yes, I've used the 2.0 ports.

As for separating the two bands, I'm not sure what that means but I do have two different configurations for the router on my computer. They just won't enable.

IP addresses: I haven't checked and I'm not sure I remember how to do that. At one time I think I needed and then got a static IP.

I am running an ASUS RT-AC68U router and a Intel AC 7260 wireless adapter. When I right click the wireless icon, both my 5 G and 2.4 G radios show up since I use different SSIDs for each along with some other local networks which are not mine. Then I just connect to that network.

I go through these steps just in case something may not be available to you.

Try going to the Task Manger, open to the performance tab and then highlight the Wi-Fi. Then right click on the graph and select view network details. Or open the Network Connections control by typing ncpa.cpl in the run box and right clicking the network adapter and select Status. Maybe some information in one of those areas will be helpful.

I will check on the Router just in case there is some info regarding it and Windows 10.

Edit: Support page if you haven't seen it. The latest firmware for the router (R7000) is 1.04.30

NETGEAR Support | R7000 | WiFi Routers

Last edited:
The latest driver for the Wireless adapter is 1.0.0.30, which states it supports Windows 10. If you have checked all your drivers and firmware, it may be time to work on the USB 3.0.

I just had a situation with a USB 3.0 Drive caddy where it was not recognized after plugged in. It took a reboot and turning it on and off a couple of times, but the device was finally recognized.

Microsoft has just changed out many of the system files through some recent updates. Possibility that hasn't made any difference in your situation.

Back
Top Bottom