Windows 10 You don't have permission to save

Discussion in 'Windows 10 Help and Support' started by keland, Aug 6, 2015.

1. keland

keland Well-Known Member

I was using win 8.1 on my Dell Laptop without any difficulty. I upgraded to win 10 Home without any problems or so it seemed. After the install reboot and signing onto my user account I began to work as usual. I needed to transfer some pictures from my camera to the Pictures folder on my "C:" drive so I plugged in the USB cable from my camera, selected the pictures and dragged them to the new folder under C\user\myname\Pictures. That is when I got a popup window which read
    "C:\users\myname\pictures You don't have permission to save in this location. Contact the Administrator to obtain permission. would you like to save in the public pictures folder instead. Yes or No."
    I can only save to the public folders on this computer.
    I am the Administrator and I should be logged in as the Administrator. I have no other user accounts setup on this laptop and use a pin or password to get into my only user account. I have access to all the folders on my "C:" drive and I can open any file that was there before the upgrade. But I can no longer save anything to my user\folders. The same thing happens if I try to save a word doc to C:\users\myname\documents folder.
    I can move files to and from all folders both within my C:\user and to a flash drive plugged into a USB on the laptop.
    How and where in win 10 do I enable and give myself permission to save pictures or documents in my user account?

2. Neemobeer

Neemobeer Windows Forum Team
    Staff Member

• Open an elevated command prompt
    • Type takeown /U %username% /F %USERPROFILE% /R /SKIPSL (You may also need the /P <password>
    • Once that completes type cacls %USERPROFILE% /T /E /G %USERNAME%:F
    This should force you to be the owner of everything in your profile and grant you full access

3. Saltgrass

Saltgrass Excellent Member
    Microsoft Community Contributor

Windows 10 has caused some changes to occur on what devices you can access normally. Right now, are you signed in with the PIN or Password. If it is a PIN, sign out and use the Password to sign in a see if it makes a difference.

Are you sure your User folders still use the same name? Are you in a Microsoft or Local Account? Are you using OneDrive?

4. keland

keland Well-Known Member

I will try this in the AM. Thanks

5. keland

keland Well-Known Member

I am signed into The Local Account. And Yes I do have did have OneDrive loaded on the Laptop when I ran the Upgrade. Thanks Ken

6. keland

keland Well-Known Member

Come to think about it. User was Ken but now it is Kenneth.

7. keland

keland Well-Known Member

How and where should I type the /P <password> ?

8. Neemobeer

Staff Member

takeown /U %username% /P <password> /F %USERPROFILE% /R /SKIPSL

9. angelsm9

angelsm9 Member

I am having the same issue, except I upgraded from Windows 7. I tried typing both into Command Prompt and got these messages:

[​IMG]

So, seeking another method, I just right clicked on my Pictures folder and clicked on Properties, then went to the Security tab.

[​IMG]

As you can see, I have no permissions other than "Special permissions". So I clicked Advanced...

[​IMG]

Under my account, I can only "Read & Execute" "This folder only". So I clicked Edit.

[​IMG]

Here I clicked the drop-down menu next to "Applies to:" and chose "This folder, subfolders and files", then clicked the "Full control" box. Click OK.

[​IMG]

As we can see, the changes have been applied. Click OK again.

[​IMG]

Full control has now been restored. Click OK once more and you should be able to save. Repeat this process for any other folders giving you trouble on your computer. I haven't tried it with the entire C: drive just yet, but that's next on the list if it's even possible to do.

#9 angelsm9, Aug 8, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2015
  10. Neemobeer

Staff Member

It may not be expanding the %username% and %userprofile% variables, just replace them with the full paths. Example if your username is bob then replace %username% with bob and %userprofile% with C:\Users\bob

11. davehc

davehc Microsoft MVP
    Premium Supporter Microsoft MVP

You might be interested in adding the function permanently to a right click, on you folders and files.

Unzip the attached file and run the two regs as appropriate,

Attached Files:

#11 davehc, Aug 9, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2015