Windows 10 You don't have permission to save

keland

I was using win 8.1 on my Dell Laptop without any difficulty. I upgraded to win 10 Home without any problems or so it seemed. After the install reboot and signing onto my user account I began to work as usual. I needed to transfer some pictures from my camera to the Pictures folder on my "C:" drive so I plugged in the USB cable from my camera, selected the pictures and dragged them to the new folder under C\user\myname\Pictures. That is when I got a popup window which read
"C:\users\myname\pictures You don't have permission to save in this location. Contact the Administrator to obtain permission. would you like to save in the public pictures folder instead. Yes or No."
I can only save to the public folders on this computer.
I am the Administrator and I should be logged in as the Administrator. I have no other user accounts setup on this laptop and use a pin or password to get into my only user account. I have access to all the folders on my "C:" drive and I can open any file that was there before the upgrade. But I can no longer save anything to my user\folders. The same thing happens if I try to save a word doc to C:\users\myname\documents folder.
I can move files to and from all folders both within my C:\user and to a flash drive plugged into a USB on the laptop.
How and where in win 10 do I enable and give myself permission to save pictures or documents in my user account?

• Open an elevated command prompt
  • Type takeown /U %username% /F %USERPROFILE% /R /SKIPSL (You may also need the /P <password>
  • Once that completes type cacls %USERPROFILE% /T /E /G %USERNAME%:F
This should force you to be the owner of everything in your profile and grant you full access

Windows 10 has caused some changes to occur on what devices you can access normally. Right now, are you signed in with the PIN or Password. If it is a PIN, sign out and use the Password to sign in a see if it makes a difference.

Are you sure your User folders still use the same name? Are you in a Microsoft or Local Account? Are you using OneDrive?

• Type takeown /U %username% /F %USERPROFILE% /R /SKIPSL (You may also need the /P <password>
This should force you to be the owner of everything in your profile and grant you full access
I will try this in the AM. Thanks

Windows 10 has caused some changes to occur on what devices you can access normally. Right now, are you signed in with the PIN or Password. If it is a PIN, sign out and use the Password to sign in a see if it makes a difference.

Are you sure your User folders still use the same name? Are you in a Microsoft or Local Account? Are you using OneDrive?

I am signed into The Local Account. And Yes I do have did have OneDrive loaded on the Laptop when I ran the Upgrade. Thanks Ken

Come to think about it. User was Ken but now it is Kenneth.

How and where should I type the /P <password> ?

I am having the same issue, except I upgraded from Windows 7. I tried typing both into Command Prompt and got these messages:

Screenshot%202015-08-08%2023.02.30.png~original

So, seeking another method, I just right clicked on my Pictures folder and clicked on Properties, then went to the Security tab.

Screenshot%202015-08-08%2023.16.37.png~original

As you can see, I have no permissions other than "Special permissions". So I clicked Advanced...

Screenshot%202015-08-08%2023.17.39.png~original

Under my account, I can only "Read & Execute" "This folder only". So I clicked Edit.

Screenshot%202015-08-08%2023.18.23.png~original

Here I clicked the drop-down menu next to "Applies to:" and chose "This folder, subfolders and files", then clicked the "Full control" box. Click OK.

Screenshot%202015-08-08%2023.18.35.png~original

As we can see, the changes have been applied. Click OK again.

Screenshot%202015-08-08%2023.19.08.png~original

Full control has now been restored. Click OK once more and you should be able to save. Repeat this process for any other folders giving you trouble on your computer. I haven't tried it with the entire C: drive just yet, but that's next on the list if it's even possible to do.

Last edited:
It may not be expanding the %username% and %userprofile% variables, just replace them with the full paths. Example if your username is bob then replace %username% with bob and %userprofile% with C:\Users\bob

You might be interested in adding the function permanently to a right click, on you folders and files.

Unzip the attached file and run the two regs as appropriate,

Attachments

• Take Own.zip
    744 bytes · Views: 635
Last edited:
I am having this problem ("You do not have permission to save in this location") when trying to save Word documents to my desktop. As may be seen from the attached screen capture, I appear to have all the necessary permissions. What more do I need to do?

I should add that if I right-click on the Word exe file and Run it as Administrator, I can save files to my desktop.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    108.8 KB · Views: 910
  • Download AccessChk
  • Extract accesschk.exe open a command prompt and cd to the location you put the exe C:\ will work
  • Run accesschk.exe -vd %userprofile%\Desktop
Copy the results to a text file and upload it here.

Thanks for your prompt reply, Neemobeer. I'm afraid I need a bit more guidance from you. I've downloaded the AccessChk zip file and extracted it onto my desktop and run it. But I don't quite understand what to do next. If I open a command prompt window and type
"C:\Users\pbrig\Desktop>accesschk.exe -vd %userprofile%\Desktop" I get the answer " 'accesschk.exe' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file". Can you please tell me what the exact correct command line entry should be. Sorry if I'm being a bit dense!

Did you put the exe in the root of C? you can type dir and you should see it there.

Did you put the exe in the root of C? you can type dir and you should see it there.
No, the exe file was on my desktop. But I've just now tried moving it to C:\ and I was denied permission to do this, with the message: "A required privilege is not held by the client ((1314)". How can I get round this?

Yes, I am an administrator (and the only user) of my PC. I guess that's the heart of the problem! Although I am supposed to have full admin rights (as the "Properties/Security" screen cap attached to my original posting says I have) in practice there are some things I can't do - such as moving the exe file to the root C directory, or saving Word files to my desktop.

Back