Windows 7 ZoneAlarm's Lovely Support Services

Maikeru

Hi all.

Well, my adventures with Check Point Software and ZoneAlarm continue.

If you've read my last post, you might remember that I mentioned having difficulty using ZoneAlarm Pro on my recently upgraded PC. It turns out that the minimum system requirement for running ZA Pro is a 2 GHz or faster processor, although Windows 7 only requires a 1 GHz processor or faster to run. Yet, Check Point is advertising ZoneAlarm Pro as the perfect firewall for Windows 7.

When another frustrated user mentioned that the software messed up his computer, I mentioned my own dilemma. One of the admins at the ZoneAlarm help forums responded to me with this rather unprofessional remark:

"Looks like it may be time a different security program that will still support your old Minimal Computers..?"

My "old minimal computers" are less than 3 years old.

The admin locked that topic.

I purchased ZoneAlarm Pro back in March. At that time, it was $39 for a single PC license. Now, I've noticed that they're offering the same product at the rate of $29 for a 3-PC license. I contacted their live customer support to see if they could at least adjust my license so that it would cover 3 PC's instead of one. The support staff responded to my question this way:

"It is like everything else in life. If I purchased a blouse at a store last March for a certain price, and they have a 30-day refund policy - and today they put it on sale - they would not compensate me"

Well... I thought you'd like to see how they treat a paying customer, is all. Have a great day! :)

I dumped ZA years ago. At least they have a forum that's more than Webroot. When I submitted them a problem I got a link to FAQS. Some places don't care once they've got you money.
Joe

Well I guess I aint enough of a geek. Cmon Drew. What is RA?
I agree, they are being FR and TT!

Too bad the Windows doesn't block outbound threats, unless you turn it on, and then it is not user friendly to set up. Microsoft needs to do a lot of work on it.

Just do not use Zone Alarm Pro with Microsoft Security Essentials, at least not yet.

I agree, they are being FR and TT!

Too bad the Windows doesn't block outbound threats, unless you turn it on, and then it is not user friendly to set up. Microsoft needs to do a lot of work on it.

Just do not use Zone Alarm Pro with Microsoft Security Essentials, at least not yet.
Geez, you guys are making me feel stupider and stupider. FR and TT?!?! :confused:

I don't need ZoneAlarm. I have Eset Smart Security.

Too bad the Windows doesn't block outbound threats
In theory, yes it makes sense, but once you are compromised, it is your duty to fix it ASAP.
Blocking outbound threats, may also block other non-threatening things, so they didn't.

The best prevention of spreading is to not get infected in the first place, so more emphasis should be placed on inbound rather than outbound. People need to realize this. And it peeves me when people use the outbound blocking issue to try and promote other software or trash the windows firewall, saying it sucks or something. Just ignore it and if it really bothers you,, learn how to block and unblock using the execellent tool you already have,,, or be one of the others that wastes their money on garbage like ZA and AVG. sorry for the rant.

Last edited:
RA = Rheumatic Arthritis. In that case, I'm for it!

Seriously, I must be in the geek class. Drew has a rather "cryptic" style from time to time, but, (I hope I'm right!) I think RA means remote assistance. It is posted around the net. But, I am not a ZA users, and I do read that it can be changed in the options?

Ok, pay attention, class ;)...

By The Way, Zone Alarm blocks Remote Assistance

Sorry, didn't noticed til just now any1 was stumped :rolleyes:

OS is firewall is bidirectional. Personnaly I don't recommend Zone Alarm & it cannot be used with the OS firewall simutaeously. Have had occasions issues in clients' machine related, @ least in part, to Zone Alarm. Cleared up w/ it removed.

I firmly believe Windows & needs its firewall, MSE & (optionally) CCleaner & maybe SpywareBlaster & (now) you can go out & play now, that's enough mittens & boots.

Hey, that's just me, eh?

Cheers,
Drew

"A scan a day keeps the nasties away!"
AaHaa!!! Remote Assistance eh? Believe me I'm nowhere near the geek I want to be. I've never used RA. I've always found the information to fix my issues in forums.

I try to be like the people who help others fix stuff in these forums. But I have no clue how to help probably 90% of the people who come here wanting help. I feel so damn frustrated.

I started using Eset Smart Security on XP Pro x64. That didn't have outbound protection in the Windows Firewall. Now I don't mind paying the $42 a year to keep ESS. I love the way it works.

Last edited:
Unfortunately,, one thing you do have to watch our for with any Internet Security Suite is the unintentional blocking of (anything). ZA and Norton are notorious at blocking internal LAN (local network- communication between all PC's in your house), with no way of unblocking it other than uninstalling them permanently and/or reloading the OS.

I spent a lot of time trying to fix that, but found zilch. That was a long time ago, and things may be better now, but i had seen it too many times to trust/use them again.

http://www.pctools.com/firewall/

I have used ESET and Check Point products; neither compares to PCTools Free Firewall. I have four computers, none of which run Anti-malware products. In five years I never had one issue with pop-ups, crashes, or random reboots. Of course I do not visit naughty Web sites or install questionable software, and am diligent about what emails I open.

These are my opinions based on personal use - your mileage may vary.

Back
Top Bottom