Zorin Is a Linux OS That Looks and Behaves Like Windows 7 [Linux Downloads]

News

Extraordinary Robot
Robot
# linuxdownloads If you're building a computer for a relative or friend and wish to avoid the cost of Windows 7 you might look into Zorin—the Linux OS' elements such as the taskbar, file system, start menu, and desktop all work just like in Windows. This combined with Zorin having the WINE Windows Emulator preinstalled means that the end user can install Windows programs easily. More »

More...

I have the .iso image of that OS on one of my HDD's, but never got around to using it. Being that I'm also a Ubuntu & Mint user, I have some experience with Linux. Thing is, I can run the OS's, but w/o Windows inside of VirtualBox, my printer doesn't run all of it's features, and it takes forever for a page to print.

But I do like the low overhead that the two versions that I do use has. I have a usable desktop in half of the time than I do with Windows 7. Some of that is security updating, but not all of it. They both fly on my low spec desktop also. In general, Linux doesn't require the resources that Windows does, but that's gradually upping. Used to be one could take any new Linux OS, install it on any computer, and it would roll. Not any more.

Neither version of Linux that I now use will run on my ThinkPad T42. It has the CPU & RAM, but not the GPU. It has an ATI Radeon 7500 card with 32MB of VRAM. Windows 2000 & XP runs fine, but not Windows 7, even the Starter version. Some "lite" versions of Linux, such as Peppermint or Xubuntu runs OK.

I'll have to hunt that Zorin OS disk down & check it out. There was once a version of Linux that was identical to XP, in fact it was named "Linux XP", the Start Menu looked similar. I was going to get it, but the download kept breaking up, even using a d/l manager. Couldn't torrent it either. The OS was from Russia.

Here it is, it's discontinued:

DistroWatch.com: Linux XP

Cat

Back