Windows 8 1 T71-173401 Lenovo G770 1037-2VU Laptop Computer - Intel Core i5-2430M

CopierGuy

1 T71-173401 Lenovo G770 1037-2VU Laptop Computer - Intel Core i5-2430M 2.40GHz, 6GB DDR3, 750GB HDD, DVDRW, 17.3" Display, Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit,

The above system will not complete an upgrade from Windows 7 Home Premium to Windows 8 Pro. It does all of the correct things to complete the upgrade until it finishes an extensive what appears to be doing all the details of the in-place upgrade.
With another upgrade license, a much older Windows 7 Pro x64 successfully completed the installation without a wimper; except I much prefer the old Desktop and installed "Classic Shell Start Menu" by Ivosoft.
Have been using this config for several weeks, only with Adobe Acrobat issues from time to time.

Does anyone have an answer for the Lenovo's problems?

Last edited by a moderator:
With Windows 8, an "upgrade" license will actually allow you to perform a clean install. If you select to "keep nothing" during the installation, the installer will create a folder called windows.old on your partition where you can recover all your personal files from your Windows 7 installation. Then you simply need to reinstall your programs. Performing a clean install is always the best option anyway as upgrades often create conflicts and compatibility issues with drivers and applications.

If I should do a "Clean Install," I have always understood (maybe erroneously) that the install will begin with a complete format of the base drive C:\. I have usually been very successful at doing the "In-Place Upgrade," which does not format the drive, but preserves everything as you describe, but not just the settings & the old User & Windows version under the "old." folder, & also leaves any data folders not in the User area, but in the root drive alone.

If I do a Clean Install & lose the folder trees in the root drive, I would not do such an upgrade. Someone please advise. I have had other more pressing issues ---- tax man cometh, etc., so have left trying to upgrade at the present time. Also, Adobe Flash has been an ongoing issue in the system that is upgraded. Also, ATT.Yahoo.Net has an issue with IE 10 (it rejects all html, and only accepts text screens) that they are "working on." In the mean time FireFox accepts html in ATT.Yahoo.Net, & also this is being done on IE 10 x32 or x64 with success. Windows 8 is definitely geared better for tablets (I would hope).
Thanks for the info.
John

With Windows 8, an "upgrade" license will actually allow you to perform a clean install. If you select to "keep nothing" during the installation, the installer will create a folder called windows.old on your partition where you can recover all your personal files from your Windows 7 installation. Then you simply need to reinstall your programs. Performing a clean install is always the best option anyway as upgrades often create conflicts and compatibility issues with drivers and applications.

You can select to do a clean install without formatting, which will not touch any folders in the C:\ drive and ALSO moves your old installation to the Windows.old folder where you can then retrieve all your personal files and at the very least also see all the programs you need to reinstall in the Program Files folder. If you retrieve installers for the most important or largest programs before you do the install, the entire process can be completed in just a few hours.

You can select to do a clean install without formatting, which will not touch any folders in the C:\ drive and ALSO moves your old installation to the Windows.old folder where you can then retrieve all your personal files and at the very least also see all the programs you need to reinstall in the Program Files folder. If you retrieve installers for the most important or largest programs before you do the install, the entire process can be completed in just a few hours.

Clean install not practical as I have several large apps I would have to re-install, PLUS some of them are very difficult as I would have to go thru long laborious hoops to re-register them. In the mean time I will wait for MS to do with a simple add-on what they should have already done. I installed an 8 beta; more like a Win 7 RC, and I had NO problems like this. I just completed my 2nd restore; maybe that will take care of it.
Thanks,
John

Clean install not practical as I have several large apps I would have to re-install, PLUS some of them are very difficult as I would have to go thru long laborious hoops to re-register them. In the mean time I will wait for MS to do with a simple add-on what they should have already done. I installed an 8 beta; more like a Win 7 RC, and I had NO problems like this. I just completed my 2nd restore; maybe that will take care of it.
Thanks,
John

I will not have time until some time in June, as schedule is full (kind of as the guy in charge of the flight tower on Top Gun replied to Maverick, "Denied, the pattern is full"). Thanks for keeping in touch!
John

Back
Top Bottom