Windows 10 100% Disk Usage Issue

upload_2017-7-30_20-36-37.png

this is the best picture of drive I can get before the app crashes :( and I see it mentioned sata but am not sure where to look for the infor you are asking for ! thanks for the thelp and I will be on tomorrow at some point

In the past this may have been true, but no longer. Most UEFI based systems now have a bios flash util you can boot to. As an example mine has M Flash and my other board has @bios. Always use them and never flash from within windows and the likely hood of bricking a board is minimal. As for chipset drivers installing them isn't high risk at all. Also 95% I'm sorry but thats just complete nonsense.
>>>That's good to know. I have very very few Customers these days attempt to do their own BIOS updates as most are seniors who have incredibly little hardware knowledge and would be deathly afraid to try it. Well, I'll agree to disagree with you, as I spent 7 years as a licensed A+ instructor and CNE instructor in the community college, ROP, and private computer schools teaching hardware, server, and network repairs. We had lab midterms and lab finals that included these specific procedures for flashing BIOSes on desktop PCs primarily and some laptops. My data was collected while teaching hundreds of students these curriculae, and more than 9/10 times, (thus the 95% number), they would brick the Mobos while attempting to flash them, even with published lab manuals in front of them showing them how to do it.:headache: We would have a stack of bricked Mobos in our storage closets that we would send out for recycling, as most of them didn't have removable or socketed BIOSes like they used to in the early days of PC computing. Most of us instructors were responsible for providing feeback on the lab exercises to the authors and publishers of the lab manuals including myself. Other instructors likely have their own experiences with this, but these were the numbers I saw. And, most of the instructors I taught with at like 7 different schools all would attest to very high numbers of failure for these; all over 80% or more. In the last 15 years; I've only had a handful of Customers ever attempt this, and in all but 1 case, they indeed borked their Mobos, and had to pay me to find that fact out, and had to do very expensive Mobo replacement out of warranty, or simply replace their computer(s). I know some of our other volunteers here were also involved in Computer Repair certification training, as it has come up in conversations on our threads. I've also found these numbers to be consistent across the other 4 tech forums I volunteer on.<<<
BBJ

howdy I still have the issue any advice on what to do nexT?
Which Power plan are you using?

Also Bios flashing is now relatively routine.

As long as there isn't a power loss mid flash then it's fine. I've been building systems for over ten years and have only seen one mobo bricked. (an old one at that)

Updating chipsets has never been an issue.

Oh I am nost sure what that was about my issues are the post at the top of this page and bottom of page 1

I cannot seem to get it to be running everytime I try and install one of the programs my machine seems to be not running them or something? I can see it running it the background but it increases disk to 100% usage and I cannot bring the program to be active:
I seem to lack the ability to install * or at least run new programs ?!1 any idea what to do about this ??

I also just realized if something tries to update I am unable to use that app at alll. My pokemon game no longer works when it tried to update, but when it did not need an update it worked? Maybe that has something to do with it?

Have you run anything like Malwarebytes? Just to make sure nothing nasty is hanging around.

On installation try right clicking the install exe and run as admnistrator.

Also try running these scans and post any resulting logs:
File scans
Right click on the Start menu icon and from the revealed list choose 'admin command prompt'. Type:
sfc /scannow
press enter and await results

In the same command prompt and after the above scan has finished type:
dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
Press enter and await results (longer this time).

If the first scan found files it could not repair but the second scan is successful, run the first scan again using the same command prompt box and this time it should repair the files found.

I tried doing that but it failed :

link to dsm file :
dism.log

I tried this before I think but had same issue fails and undoes changes made :(.
I even tried resetting windows but it just failed like this and no idea what to do
upload_2017-8-6_17-28-6.png

You have a WD 1TB Drive yes?

If so try running Seatools for Windows. It's a tool from Seagate for checking drives and it works for any drive.

I tried running that program, the test past but the long test failed, but it did not say anything else just the long pass test fails?
I try running the long generic and it fails some times on start up, and I tried looking at manual but when I run this program and it does not let me run fix test only a couple of test I think.

upload_2017-8-9_9-48-13.png

upload_2017-8-9_9-48-36.png

Last edited:
You have a failing drive. Which would explain all of the file corruption. That siad you ran the windows version. I'd be running the usb or cd bootable version, on the off chance it's windows doing this.

Ok , Any chance you know of good drives to get off amazon just to see if the drive is the issue or what not? I don't want to buy another failing drive

Rarely do drives go bad. You've just been unlucky with that one. WD make fine drives, I would avoid Toshiba though as had nothing but trouble with those.

I was thinking running seatools outside of windows to, just in case its a driver issue rather than the drive itself

Back
Top Bottom