Windows 7 12 hours in - IE8 not working correctly

slipodil

Purchased Win 7 to install on my laptop and then the motherboard went Kablooey (had been on the decline anyway), so I went out and purchased a new HP G6--535DX Notebook with Win 7 Premium 64 bit already installed.

I got the computer home, booted her up, everything worked just fine. Internet Explorer seemed to be running well. I ran several windows just fine, downloaded Open Office 3.1.1, then closed everything up and played a quick game of the HP Games Scrabble (by Wild Tangent) before bed. This morning I could not get IE8 to run worth a darn. Slow doesn't even describe waiting an hour for a page to load. Then it won't even let me close the windows when they don't load, I have to go to the Task Manager and end the program.

It would let me get a few places with a second tab (facebook, but no news sites like cnn or such), while the first kept trying to do anything, but eventually it just led to continual nothingness. The windows do nothing, the spinny circle says they're still working, they never say Not Responding. And they won't shut down normally.

I was pissed. 12 hours old and already I have issues??

Rebooted a few times to no avail. Finally got it to boot enough that I could download Firefox and continued loading the computer for use, figuring I'd get it fixed.

I installed Firefox, Open Office 3.1.1, Picasa 3.5, NVu, and Outlook 2007 - but all these were installed AFTER the problems started, excepting Open Office.

To be safe, I went and uninstalled everything, starting with OO, then Picasa, then Nvu. I have not unloaded Firefox since it's all the browser I have right now, and having JUST paid my IT guy to setup my VPN on Outlook, I am not uninstalling that puppy.

I did also go in and uninstall all the HP games, since that was the only correlation I could make.

I've run the sfc/scannow with no problems found. I've restarted a few dozen times, turned off and uninstalled the Best Buy included Webroot anti-virus.

Any ideas?? I am super frustrated- this computer's barely 24 hours old now and I really can't get any use out of it without IE as many of the programs I use for work online are not fully Firefox capable.

Help!

Not that I can tell - just the search bar off to the right, which has the option of Bing, Google, or something else. The only add-on's I found listed in the IE options under Manage Add-ons for Toolbars and Extensions was a Java plug-in 2 SSV helper.

Last edited:
Purchased Win 7 to install on my laptop and then the motherboard went Kablooey (had been on the decline anyway), so I went out and purchased a new HP G6--535DX Notebook with Win 7 Premium 64 bit already installed.

I can't find any notebook with those numbers you supplied ?

HEre's the puter I have, it was part of this package, the laptop details are near the bottom:
Link Removed - Invalid URL

I wondered if that'd ditch the Wild Tangent itself, but didn't see it anywhere else in the un-install. Trying that next, thanks!!

I thought I had uninstalled webroot using the Uninstall programs portion but the stupid thing keeps coming back up? Seems to be difficult to FULLY uninstall things in 7.

However, I used the uninstalls for WildTangent provided above and IE is now working beautifully!

Drew - any help uninstalling Webroot would be appreciated! :) - Also, how do you feel about Avast - that's what I normally use but haven't put it on here yet.

I got the computer home, booted her up, everything worked just fine. Internet Explorer seemed to be running well. I ran several windows just fine, downloaded Open Office 3.1.1, then closed everything up and played a quick game of the HP Games Scrabble (by Wild Tangent) before bed. This morning I could not get IE8 to run worth a darn. Slow doesn't even describe waiting an hour for a page to load. Then it won't even let me close the windows when they don't load, I have to go to the Task Manager and end the program.

It would let me get a few places with a second tab (facebook, but no news sites like cnn or such), while the first kept trying to do anything, but eventually it just led to continual nothingness. The windows do nothing, the spinny circle says they're still working, they never say Not Responding. And they won't shut down normally.

I was pissed. 12 hours old and already I have issues??

Rebooted a few times to no avail. Finally got it to boot enough that I could download Firefox and continued loading the computer for use, figuring I'd get it fixed.

I installed Firefox, Open Office 3.1.1, Picasa 3.5, NVu, and Outlook 2007 - but all these were installed AFTER the problems started, excepting Open Office.

To be safe, I went and uninstalled everything, starting with OO, then Picasa, then Nvu. I have not unloaded Firefox since it's all the browser I have right now, and having JUST paid my IT guy to setup my VPN on Outlook, I am not uninstalling that puppy.

I did also go in and uninstall all the HP games, since that was the only correlation I could make.

I've run the sfc/scannow with no problems found. I've restarted a few dozen times, turned off and uninstalled the Best Buy included Webroot anti-virus.

Any ideas?? I am super frustrated- this computer's barely 24 hours old now and I really can't get any use out of it without IE as many of the programs I use for work online are not fully Firefox capable.

Help!

Hi slipodil,
are you running with any security? If not then try something like AVG or Microsoft security essentials and then run a scan to be on the safe side..
IE can always be rebuilt by turning it off, rebooting and then on again via the Control panel and 'Turn windows features on or off', (see screenshot)

I thought I had uninstalled webroot using the Uninstall programs portion but the stupid thing keeps coming back up? Seems to be difficult to FULLY uninstall things in 7.
The problem with uninstalling isn't because of Win7. A lot of programs don't uninstall themselves correctly. That's something you have to watch out for. Reghakr has the right idea about getting rid of bogus programs.

It's too late now,. if it's gone from Programs and Features,. but I use a program called RevoUinstaller,. which removes left over files and registry entries left behind that the original installer doesn't remove.

You could try re-installing, the use RevoUninstaller.

You can download it here:

Download Revo Uninstaller Freeware - Free and Full Download

Back