2013-07-25 Maintenance Notice

Mike

Windows Forum Admin
Staff member
Premium Supporter
Please be advised that extensive maintenance took place tonight.

If you had an account whereas you had never posted before, and it was over 30 days old, you have been deleted as a zero poster! You can always create a new account. Members with at least one post will never be deleted.

Many soft deleted posts and threads have been permanently removed from our database. This is a cleanup performed every few months. However, some members will have received a "Your post was deleted" moderation notice. This is because I forgot to turn off the notifications before I engaged in this process.

Overall, a total database clean-up is underway, which should be done within the next few minutes.

This helps keep the site running fast and smooth. Thanks for your understanding.

If you have not changed your password within 365 days, you will be prompted to do so the next time you log in. You will never be prompted to supply a valid password via e-mail or outside of the website itself. You should keep your password to the forums separate from other important passwords, however, how you manage this data is up to you.

Also, following recent administrative conference calls, big changes are on the horizon that should help improve the website experience overall! Stay tuned.

Nice, open outlook on this new (xeno foro ?) site. I am still battling with the same template on another site, which has a few unexplained items to get used to (conversations, instead of PMs, etc.) But, so far, Mike. it looks like you have already tidied up in many of those areas.
Just have to get used to a few new navigational items.

Yes just logged into the forum saw the new XenForo site. Nice one Mike. I see you have change the Url to Windowsforum.com though Windows 7 Forums is still a separate site and not been merged with this forum or upgraded yet. Still I expect you will get round to that. XenForo is better than V Bulletin I tried out the free demo myself once.

Nice, open outlook on this new (xeno foro ?) site. I am still battling with the same template on another site, which has a few unexplained items to get used to (conversations, instead of PMs, etc.) But, so far, Mike. it looks like you have already tidied up in many of those areas.
Just have to get used to a few new navigational items.

Open...yes, too open. I hope that this is not how it will remain.

Oh just noticed something strange-home page redirects to posts index and in my profile I can see all my posts I ever made on Windows 7 Forums the other forums. So yes I think they are merging or trying to merge both Windows 7 and Windows 8 Forum into one forum-Good idea. I said they should do that all along. Text size it very small needs adjusting.

Maybe you should examine your settings, Andrea. The text is as always, for me.
Well Mike and the other admins have only just installed the software. Also all of the posts here have been exported from the old V Bulletin board. So it takes time to get used to the settings, and tweak them to make the forum look right.

I tested out the Demo of XenForo which anyone can try free for 2 days, I think. You can actually change the page background color,text font to any color you want. You can also make the text size bigger. It could be the web browser. As I am using Google Chrome to view and post this on my Windows 7 laptop.

Is looking good, too much white space for my liking though.
He can make the web page a different color. I would go for peach or pastel pink, though I suppose it won't appeal to everybody. I see he has updated the theme since I was last here,a few hours ago. Text is still too small methinks.

I keep getting server error announcements when I try to post in the Water Cooler.

Attachments

• windowsforum server error.jpg
    windowsforum server error.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 428
Is there any way to restrict viewing of new posts to Windows 8 sections only.

Ok. Disregard. I have found a way

Last edited:
Just for conversation, I guess, but I find it very hard to believe that all those items in "Personal Details" in the profile, are required to join a n It help forum. Religion: Marital status: Political views, for example, ?

By the way. I am not on an ego trip. Fact is I don't support awards on forums. But, have "likes" been restarted. I see I have one like after a couple of thousand posts. Not what I remember??

Last edited:
Just for conversation, I guess, but I find it very hard to believe that all those items in "Personal Details" in the profile, are required. Religion: Marital status: Political views, for example, ? Come on.

By the way. I am not on an ego trip. Fact is I don't support awards on forums. But, have "likes" been restarted. I see I have one like after a couple of thousand posts. Not what I remember??

They are all optional. And under your privacy options you can certainly hide them. The likes system from VBSEO could not be fully imported, just like smilies, and that is something I am still working on.

It is up for the community to decide if they want to share this information on their profile. Remember, the computer specifications could be extremely useful for someone having difficulties, and we will look for new ways to display this information on the postbit (the area where user info is displayed on each message), in a compact form once again. The information is not used by the website or anyone operating it for any nefarious purpose.

Back