Windows 7 32 + 64-bit in the box?

rendez2k

I've just noticed on the back of my Home Premium box that it says both 32 and 64bit are included. Does that mean I can pick either when I install?

Also, my UK student version is Pro 32bit. If I decide to go 64 in the future, is this possible and will it cost to 'side-grade'?

Use the one best suited for your hardware. Unless you have 4 or more gigs of ram you won't get much more out of 64. Your keycode works with EITHER 32 or 64 home preminum.

Thanks - I have 4gb and a quad core which is why I was thinking 64. Is there still an issue with drivers and software not working with 64?

My student copy gave me no option of 32 or 64 but i think thats because I had to make the choice when purchasing the deal.

Thanks - I have 4gb and a quad core which is why I was thinking 64. Is there still an issue with drivers and software not working with 64?[\quote]

Yes.... there are actually MILLIONS of combinations of hardware that can run on a pc and the final version of windows 7 was shipped to OEM's and put on torrents July 22... there are a lot of drivers issues that could go wrong.... and a lot that have been fixed since then.

My student copy gave me no option of 32 or 64 but i think thats because I had to make the choice when purchasing the deal.

There is no problem at all finding any version of windows 7... be it 32 or 64 or home to ultimate.. they are on the torrents being download a million times as you read this. The PROBLEM you have to solve is the keycode. A keycode for Home Preminum will activate 32 or 64 bit Home Premunum.. but it won't activate the Professional or Ultimate version of either.

You can buy 16 versions of Windows 7 ... but there are only 4 sets of keycodes.

If you delete ie.cfg and install windows 7 you have 4 options Home, Home Preminum, Professional and Ultimate for both 32 and 64... that's 8 possible versions... then you have those 8 versions available on Update disks that won't boot.

Yea, 64bit all the way man. No compatibility issues yet except for a program called tune up utilities 2009.
64bit is the future, and I would suggest getting it now. Almost everything you might need is compatible so why not?
I only have 3 gb of ram and a dual core processor in my laptop and I can already tell the 64 bit seems to run a little faster.

I've just made the leap to 64 bit and I'm glad that I did....I even bought more RAM (4gb originally) All my software works well. Photoshop CS4 even has a 64 bit version and my raw convertor Nikon NX2 works and that's not supposed to be compatible with 64bit. Only problem was that Dell PC Tune Up didn't work, but hey ho!

DickyWindows

Would have started a new thread but dont know how.
Just bought a Dell 545 Inspiron with Windows7, delivered today. I knew rag all about 32bit or 64bit this morning until I found out I cant get my 32bit printer to print!!
Didn't take much notice when I was doing install and just went yes with the 64bit choice.
Am I f**cked. My printer is an Olivetti d-copia 15 which is worth more than the Computer!
Would very much welcome some shaft of blinding light from someone!
Cheers DickyWindows

Would have started a new thread but dont know how.
Just bought a Dell 545 Inspiron with Windows7, delivered today. I knew rag all about 32bit or 64bit this morning until I found out I cant get my 32bit printer to print!!
Didn't take much notice when I was doing install and just went yes with the 64bit choice.
Am I f**cked. My printer is an Olivetti d-copia 15 which is worth more than the Computer!
Would very much welcome some shaft of blinding light from someone!
Cheers DickyWindows

I have never heard of a 32 bit printer.. or 64 bit or any other bit... that's just drivers. So there is nothing wrong with your printer... you can probably press some keys or combination of keys on the PRINTER to have it run a diagnosis and see that it's fine.

Just locate the correct drivers for YOUR version of windows and all will be ok.

Cheers. I used 32 & 64bit literally ..like saying a 2litre engine or 1.6litre engine. Are you saying I should speak to Olivetti and see if I can get a 64bit driver?

Cheers. I used 32 & 64bit literally ..like saying a 2litre engine or 1.6litre engine. Are you saying I should speak to Olivetti and see if I can get a 64bit driver?

Yes.. if you can't find them on their site or somewhere and take care of it in 4 or 5 minutes.

Back
Top Bottom