Windows 7 32bit browsers not working after upgrade to windows 7!

martinblank

I just upgraded from Vista 64bit HE to Windows 7 64bit HE and now my 32bit browsers (firefox, IE 32bit, even itunes) are not able to connect to the internet. All were working in Vista. The 64bit version of Internet Explorer will connect however. Any idea why this could be?

I've tried uninstalling all virus/spyware programs as well as disabling the windows firewall settings.

Please help! I want my firefox back!

Did you leave iTunes installed during the upgrade? There were some threads about the bonjour service apple runs, can you use Msconfig.exe to keep it from starting or use Task Manager to shutdown any apple services?

Just for the heck of it, you might try running Firefox as administrator. Probably won't work, but doesn't hurt to try.

Did you do an in-place upgrade from Vista?

Most all of us do not recommend an upgrade. It leaves hundreds of useless files left on your system and can cause conflicts.

I would lace the ISO back in the drive and perform a "clean" installation.

Be aware, you'll have to install all your 3rd party applications.

If you don't like that option, try opening IE by going to the C:\Programs Files (x86) directory for the 32-bit version.

I'm with reghakr 100%. I've never had a good experience upgrading - a clean install is the way to go.

I did leave itunes installed and tried disabling the bonjour service, but still didn't work. Running as admin didn't work either. It was an in place upgrade. I was really hoping there would be a fix without having to do a clean install because of the pain it is going to be to backup and reinstall everything I need. :confused:

I did leave itunes installed and tried disabling the bonjour service, but still didn't work. Running as admin didn't work either. It was an in place upgrade. I was really hoping there would be a fix without having to do a clean install because of the pain it is going to be to backup and reinstall everything I need. :confused:

Martinblank,

You can try to boot from the Windows 7 DVD and run the repair function -- this should resolve your issues.

Jessica
Microsoft Windows Client Team

Martinblank,

You can try to boot from the Windows 7 DVD and run the repair function -- this should resolve your issues.

Jessica
Microsoft Windows Client Team

Wow worked! Thanks so much JessicaD! You saved me a lot of headaches. :D

Back
Top Bottom