Windows 7 4 Important reasons why I'm going back to Vista

loathe

Heres the deal, I had my machine running Vista Ulitimate x64 and everything was working fine. I upgraded to Windows 7. Right off the bat I found that:

1) My optical drive wasnt present (I did however find a fix for this)
2) Comodo firewall did not work
3) Azureus and uTorrent both didnt work properly due to NAT error (tried and tried to fix this, worked fine with Vista)
4) Found you could not play on Punkbuster servers with COD4 (offical response is they dont support betas)

so, Windows 7 for me will just have to wait. From what I have read lots of people are having trouble with the bit torrent programs and I tried everything to fix it, including turning off the firewall on my router and disabled the Windows firewall and it still wouldnt connect properly.

Also my Soundblaster x-fi drivers didnt work but there is a working driver on the Creative site.

Maybe this info will help you, maybe it wont, but Im going back to Vista

*EDIT* My advice, do a clean install rather than the update, sorted problems 1 & 3

Not ready? Its a beta OS and still has lots of problems. I'd say the OS is not ready and if it turns out anything like Vista did then maybe it will never truly ready. The fact is some of us like to play COD4 and use their optical drive, and for those of us that paid for a Commodo key only to find they cant use it in the beta is just crazy. I'm not out to say you shouldnt install and enjoy this beta, what I'm saying is if there is someone out there in my postion, maybe they will think twice before making the same mistake as me and installing as primary OS, like alot of people here are saying they are using.

And Kyle, your right I didnt ask for your help, turns out I dont need it. Maybe you dont care, but, there are others out there who might, hence posting this in "discussion" not "support"

Other than that, it is nice and fast and looks good with some nice new features. I look forward to the final release

loathe your are more then entitled to your opinion. I apologize for the comments made by Kyle. It was inappropriate of what he wrote. I am kinda in the middle of the two of you though. I thought the Windows 7 Beta was the greatest thing in the world until i installed adobe CS4 and found problems with the drivers. I was able to come up with a fix on my own but it showed me that it is not perfect as most Betas arent. I will continue to use it however in the spite of the recent issue. I do agree that if you are a serious gamer you should go back to vista until completely compatible drivers come out.

"Not ready? Its a beta OS and still has lots of problems. I'd say the OS is not ready and....."
By its very nature, a Beta is not ready. Hopefully it is reaching a point of useability, however.
The use of the Beta was purely voluntary. The main purpose of its wide distribution was to get as much international feedback as possible and , we hope, fix them before the Release candidate.
Perhaps you have fulfilled this intention, and filed feedback to Microsoft. In the case of third party software, there is a compromise, but a large percentage of the fixing onus lies with the software manufacturers. This is one of the reasons that early builds are sent out to such operators, in order to give them time to examine their software/hardware and make the necessary modifications. Something they failed to do with Vista.
The better companies are registered as Full partners and are entitled to that advanced notice. Due to the nature of P2P programs, I doubt that they would be given that opportunity. But they are skilled programmers, and will, without doubt, come up with the goods before the final release of Windows 7.

" Punkbuster servers with COD4 (offical response is they dont support betas" Not really the fault of Windows 7 or Microsoft.

I have installed a huge amount of Software on Windows 7 64 and 32 bit, without any problems. Several had to be installed in compatibility mode, which went well. Among the software was Bit Comet, which worked like a charm.

I would support Iroken's comment "if you are a serious gamer you should go back to vista until completely compatible drivers come out." I am not a serious gamer, but I understand that one weakness of Vista is it's Game playing ability, particularly on the web. It is apparent from reading posts that a great number of these problems have been sorted in Windows 7, so I would anticipate that you could be a happier user of 7 in the end product.
As a game player, which is really hardcore for any OS useage, you would be a valuable contributer to any forum. Why not stick the OS back on, as an alternative, and start examining the possibilities.

i must be the few that Windows 7 is working 100%...

Punkbuster does work for me
uTorrent does work
firewall aswell

and the other one i have no clue what it is...

cheers

Punkbuster working for Call of Duty 4? I'd be interested in learning how you got to work. I seem to get kicked after 5-10min.

I've done a fresh install of the beta on another disk and straight away my optical drive drivers work. I have managed to get Vuze to work also, I suspect all it needed was a hard reset/deleting of config file in apps data.

Hello
I had the same problem with COD4, first I went to PunkBuster Online Countermeasures select COD4 -> Software Updates: Download
Follow the instructions and try to play
I do that... and servers still kick me :(:frown:

After that fail jaja, i downloaded PBSETUP and this little program update my PB to a higher version.

And works for me, in this moment my COD4 is minimized and no kicks for 30 minutes and counting xD :D

the first program i installed was vuze and it worked without a hitch. i've found that eveything has been good so far except when trying to install alcohol 120. gets to the point of needing to reboot to finish installation, reboot and says the same thing. haven't figured it out yet.

Doing a fresh install on a re-formatted clean drive, cleared up a lot of issues I was having. Since doing the fresh install, W7 has been running like a charm for me.

been using W7 since it came out, i play quite a bit of online games, W7 is at least already as good as Vista if not better, for an early beta thats pretty good in my book, can expect it to only get better:)

Punkbuster is working for a very few select games and they will not support a beta OS.
I play BF2 and it does not work on windows7. The only game I have heard of that works with punkbuster
is COD WAR.

Hello
I had the same problem with COD4, first I went to PunkBuster Online Countermeasures select COD4 -> Software Updates: Download
Follow the instructions and try to play
I do that... and servers still kick me :(:frown:

After that fail jaja, i downloaded PBSETUP and this little program update my PB to a higher version.

And works for me, in this moment my COD4 is minimized and no kicks for 30 minutes and counting xD :D

That problem has nothing to do with W7B. I have been having to do that since the Enemy Territory playable demo was released many many years ago. Not quakewars mind you, ET wolfenstein. PB has always been plagued with issues. The fact that it does not work right off the bat does not suprise me. What John says is almost identical to what I did to get COD4 to work in Vista.

I highly recommend not doing an upgrade. MS has always allowed it but back in the day highly recommended against it.
Do a clean install and start yourself off right.

Im a W7 Fanboy now...

My cd drive did not show at first, then I put a cd in it and it appeared no problem and works flawlessly.

Back