Windows 7 62 failed updates out of 192 updates.

poorguy

Extraordinary Member
hey all,have a desktop asus m2a-vm motherboard / 4gb ddr2 ram / amd athlon 64x2 5200+ brisbane / 82gb hdd / ati radeon x1300 xge 512mb pci-e. ok i install windows 7 32 bit oem with system pack 1 and all installs perfect until 192 updates are needed and then after the installed updates are done i see that 62 out of 192 have failed. what is up this is not acceptable. what the hell is wrong with the updates as i have never had this happen. the fixit tool doesn't change anything and yes it is a real and legal copy. pissed off and don't like microsoft right now.

the poorguy

hey kemical, yeah that was the first thing that i tried and it installed and ran but when i ran the install again and ran the 192 updates again i still had 62 failed out of 192 total updates. worst case i guess i could go ahead and accept the failed updates as the next set are the 62 failed. i am just wanting to install windows 7 on this old box so i can get my free install of windows 10. this is the something i have never ran into. 1 or 2 failed updates yeah i can live with. i would just like to find out the problem for future use and a fix.

thanks. the poorguy

i give up on installing windows 7 as microsoft is not nor do they care if people have a solid update website for windows 7 since they seem to be to much into windows 10. comes from a very reliable souce. i have tried 4 different times and still anywhere from 38 to 62 failed updates and that is only the first set of them. it seems that some of the failed updates rely on other updates that are no longer being downloaded and microsoft has not removed or plans to maintain their update website until windows 10 is up and running. so to hell with them, failed upates are not acceptable. i know others who are having the same problem so i know that it is not on my end. done this to many times since windows 7 was released and never had any problems. i will move back to linux at least it installs and updates without any falures. thanks for the help guys perhaps when windows 10 comes out maybe microsoft will have their shit together.i will never spend another dollar for a microsoft product as in my opinion linux is far better of an operating system and does everything that i need to do.

the poorguy

Hey,
sorry i didn't reply earlier I was installing a new version of win 10. So you stopped installing windows? Damn! If I can help further let me know..

hey kemical,
yeah i give up for this week i will try again next week. what sucks is i have installed windows 7 so many times on so many desktops and never ran into this problem. i have talked to a few of my computer buds that do this everyday and they tell me that they are having the same kind of issues. failed updates are just not acceptable. after 4 different attempts and the same result i am just pissed off and just want to snap my windows 7 dvds into pieces. 4 different attempts is alot of hours to have failures. i will try again next week. what is amazing is when i run the 64 bit windows 7 dvd on a desktop that will run it maybe1 or 2 failed updates and i can accept that. the desktop i am trying to install on will only run 32 bit. will keep you posted and thanks for the support and help.

the poorguy

Updates may be problematic. They are hierarchic, means you have to start from bottom and go upwards. They usually install nicely, but sometimes when you try to get them all at once, it won't work. I don't know any ready solution for it. I've had Windows 7 installed with success, all updates coming straight on, like my latest, but I've also had misfortune, and had to re-install all over again.

True answer? Ain't any?

hey Pauli,
you are right it can be a real pain and i may have to go that route. yeah i'll try again next week but in the mean time i will keep searching and see if i can come up with an answer. worst case i guess i could live with the failed updates as i just am wanting windows 10 to install over it. i still like windows just really irritated at the moment with them. thanks for the support.

the poorguy

well here is attempt #5 and 206 updates 89 failed updates. no more trying to install an operating system or even trusting an operating system when security updates fail in that amount. no wonder they get hacked it is all I can do to not destroy my dvds and send them to Microsoft. there is no fix because I will no longer waste anymore of my time. this is why I moved to Linux because it installs and works flawlessly. people say that vista sucked I never had an install problem or update fail at all on vista. thought I would let you guys know. what I need to do is decide if I want to waste anymore time thinking that windows 10 will be any different I know windows 8 isn't all that great. good luck to you guys and thanks for the support and help and me complaining.

thanks again.
unhappy and very disappointed.
the poorguy

I remember trying to update a version of win 7 once where the updates would fail. I eventually got round it by just retrying the downloads again and again. Is there an error message associated with the failed install?

In the Linux camp, I have Ubuntu installed parallel with Win 7, the common perception is that Microsoft never truly fixed Windows, it's just been patched, and the main issues remain. It's like an Amish quilt. My heart goes to those Amish.

But even if started by a Finn, Linux isn't problem free either. I always remember the one honest column I've read, where an expert stated that moving from post modern society to a IT society will be a greater step than moving from agricultural to industrial was. We are not there, we're still heading for it.

I agree with kemical. Once again the senior beats the junior. :ohno:

After all, the not installed updates may not be such a problem --- newer updates have replaced the ones you can't get? "Never have so many been in such a big debt to so few", like Winston Churchill said. A reality of mysteries, we live like in Battlestar Galactica.

I wouldn't abandon Windows. It still has its major.

hey Pauli,
i doubt that will abandon windows. maybe if just install the operating system and then service pack 1 maybe that will be enough to get my windows 10 update.
yes linux isn't always trouble free as i have had video card issues but those were solved with minor driver changes through the terminal with the ip tables etc. thanks for the support.

the poorguy

hey kemical,
acting off my anger i failed to write down any error codes. almost 60 years old and still let my anger control my reasoning.

the poorguy

Another thing you could try is changing the windows update settings from Automatic install updates to 'automatically checks for updates but asks you whether to download and install them'. This will then give you time to uncheck some of the updates and just install a few at a time. This has also worked for me in the past too.

hey kemical,
yeah i do the manual check for updates and i have thought about doing the 10 at a time on updates and see if that makes a change. i will try that after the holidays as we are having a big family cookout which i am looking forward to. again thanks for the support will keep you posted. i had know idea that this was going to be such a pain in the rear as the last time i installed windows 7 it all went clean and green without a hitch. that had to be 2 years ago so alot has changed. anyway hope you guys have a good 4th of July and be safe. thanks again.

the poorguy

hey guys,
installed windows 7 and as always the install went great no problems.
1st set of updates 212 to install and out of that only 4 updates failed.
I downloaded them and then installed 10 at a time and success.
failed updates are as follows.
kb3013531 error code 80010108 recommended
kb2719857 error code 80010108 recommended
kb3035126 error code 80004004 important
kb3045171 error code 80242000 important
I have these hidden so they will no longer show up I hope.
I have also turned update settings to where it will download the updates but it will not install them.
will continue tomorrow. hope the next set of updates works out will let you know. thanks again.

a lot happier.
the poorguy

Hey thats great! I would after installing the other updates go back and try the above updates again though just so your covered.

hey kemical,
yeah I was wondering if I should do that I guess worst case I would have 4 more failed. I am going run the fixit tool 1st.
thanks.
the poorguy

hey kemical,
ran the fixit tool and it found a few issues and fixed them however one issue had to do with updates and that was unable to repair.
said file maybe corrupt and didn't give an error. I am going to run it 1 more time and see if that repairs anything more. ran the 4 failed updates and they failed with an error code 80246007. I can live with this, way better than the results that i was getting
thanks man. good holidays to ya.
the poorguy

There is a support page for that error code in case you didn't try it yet.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/windows-update-error-80246007#1TC=windows-7

I've also found with past experience that once i installed a few updates (a good number mind) I'd let the pc settle and then before downloading anymore I'd turn the machine off. Let it sit for 30 seconds then boot up and carry on. If your installing updates straight after a install then this just gives the pc chance to get it's house in order. I find this helps the update process no end.

Back
Top Bottom